Preprint Herpesvirus Infection as a Systemic Pathological Axis in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2024, Nunes, Kell & Pretorius

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Jan 23, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202401.1486/v1

Preprint Review Version 1
    This version is not peer-reviewed
    Herpesvirus Infection as a Systemic Pathological Axis in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Jean M Nunes
    [​IMG] ,
    Douglas B Kell
    * [​IMG] ,
    Etheresia Pretorius
    * [​IMG]

Version 1 : Received: 18 January 2024 / Approved: 19 January 2024 / Online: 19 January 2024 (13:13:19 CET)

How to cite: Nunes, J.M.; Kell, D.B.; Pretorius, E. Herpesvirus Infection as a Systemic Pathological Axis in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Preprints 2024, 2024011486. https://doi.org/10.20944/preprints202401.1486.v1 Nunes, J.M.; Kell, D.B.; Pretorius, E. Herpesvirus Infection as a Systemic Pathological Axis in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Preprints 2024, 2024011486. https://doi.org/10.20944/preprints202401.1486.v1

Abstract

Understanding the pathophysiology of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is critical for advancing treatment options.

This review explores the novel hypothesis that herpesviruses' infection of endothelial cells (ECs) may underlie ME/CFS symptomatology.

We review evidence linking herpesviruses to persistent EC infection and the implications for endothelial dysfunction, encompassing blood flow regulation, coagulation, and cognitive impairment – symptoms consistent with ME/CFS and Long COVID.

The paper provides a synthesis of current research on herpesvirus latency and reactivation, detailing the impact on ECs and subsequent systemic complications, including latent modulation and long-term maladaptation.

We suggest that the chronicity of ME/CFS symptoms and the multisystemic nature of the disease may be partly attributable to herpesvirus-induced endothelial maladaptation.

Our conclusions underscore the necessity for further investigation into the prevalence and load of herpesvirus infection within ECs of ME/CFS patients.

This review offers a conceptual advance by proposing an endothelial infection model as a systemic mechanism contributing to ME/CFS, steering future research towards potentially unexplored avenues in understanding and treating this complex syndrome.

Keywords
    Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS); Endothelial cells; Herpesvirus

EndME, boolybooly, RedFox and 11 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am afraid this looks very much like re-inventing a wheel that does not actually roll.
    People seem desperate to have their voices heard even if they apparently have nothing to say.

Marky, sebaaa, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  3. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. siobhanfirestone

siobhanfirestone Established Member (Voting Rights)

gosh these authors like to jump out with their theories dont they

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME Research UK

·
    Both endothelial dysfunction (impaired function of blood vessel lining known as the endothelium) and herpesviruses are topics of interest in ME/CFS research, though studies linking these subject areas remains sparse. A review by researchers from Stellenbosch University, South Africa, explored whether a potential relationship between herpesvirus infection and endothelial dysfunction may contribute towards the manifestation of ME/CFS symptoms such as cognitive dysfunction.

Read more: https://tinyurl.com/3atbev42

sb4 and MEMarge like this.