1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

High-salt diet suppresses autoimmune demyelination by regulating the blood–brain barrier permeability, 2021 Shin-Young Na et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/12/e2025944118

Mariaba, Sing, Peter Trewhitt and 7 others like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pointless using mice. What a shame - I'm interested in this. Shame for the poor mice too - they are almost certainly killed, as the vast majority of lab animals are.

3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It used to be a condition of the Home Office licences for animal research here in the UK that the animals were destroyed at the end of their research usefulness, I don’t know if that continues to be the case now. This, at least in the past, meant after the main research was done, that more harmful research such as looking at the effects of very high drug dosages was undertaken as the animal subjects were going to be killed any way.

alktipping and Mij like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I watched a program several months ago about growing cultured human cells on scaffolds embedded on plastic chips, forming tiny structures that mimic the functioning of our heart, liver, kidneys and lungs. These could provide a novel way to test the effects of new compounds or drugs on human cells.

5. borko2100

borko2100 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is quite likely that the blood brain barrier may be involved in the pathophysiologically of ME in some way. Many sufferers (me included) report aquiring new food intolerances as their illness progresses over the years. Me for example, for decades I never had issues with MSG and Capsaicin. But a few years ago I started experiencing very strange neurological symptoms every time I ingest them. Maybe it is because a compromised blood brain barrier allows more of them to enter the brain?

Mariaba, MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.