1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How General Practitioners Raise Psychosocial Concerns as a Potential Cause of [MUS]: A Conversation Analysis, Stortenbeker et al, 2021

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: How General Practitioners Raise Psychosocial Concerns as a Potential Cause of Medically Unexplained Symptoms: A Conversation Analysis
    Open access, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10410236.2020.1864888

Frankie, Joh, Esther12 and 5 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

GPs lay ground for psychosocial ascriptions by first introducing psychosocial concerns as a consequence rather than a cause of complaints.

How to build a trusting relationship with your patients. Not.

Do these guys ever think through the real consequences of what they are doing?

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have no problem with doctors asking if someone is having problems in life or any problems with their mental health. It is when they do not accept the answer that I get angry. Too often saying "no" is taken to mean the patient is in denial so is "expressing emotional problems as physical symptoms".

4. mat

mat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is consistent with my own experiences. When a patient has multiple vague symptoms, they get psychological suspicions. In my country, there is also a course or training that is offered to many practitioners. It is called "psychosomatic training". I wonder what they get trained there. Probably how to recognize certain trigger keywords and how to ask the patient things that ultimately make them a "psychosomatic case". IMHO, this training should be prohibited. I guess their basis is a mix of homeopathy research and the research as how you can find it in the CFS field.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Like I said: false attribution syndrome.

No one seems to ask the question of whether this is of any use whatsoever, it's simply assumed to be. It clearly isn't useful other than as an excuse not to do their job, hence why the awkward question isn't asked.
    A few words could be swapped and this could describe the process by which fortune tellers "collaboratively" build a narrative with their client, "personalized" of course. There is no reason to believe this is a useful process when all it does is falsely ascribe cause to something that isn't even relevant.

Frankie, EzzieD, Lidia and 9 others like this.
  6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes it was the emotion of being shot in my leg that is causing my leg to hurt and bleed all over your lovely carpet now can you do your damn job and stitch it up .

EzzieD, Andy and Sean like this.