Hypermetabolism and COVID‐19, 2020, Yu et al

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Andy, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jpen.1948
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.tw/10.1002/jpen.1948

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sorry what? They have ~230% the base metabolic rate?

No wonder so many are experiencing weight loss. Wow.

And yeah supplemental nutrition sounds about right. Very interesting.

Amw66, MEMarge, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

isn't it common sense that people with fevers are burning more calories ie to produce enough heat to kill of invading bacteria or virus . even grannies used to say starve a cold and feed a fever . hospital nutritionist should already know this.

Snow Leopard and obeat like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I thought the old saying was feed a cold and starve a fever. And probably not medically useful advice. It sounds like this hyper metabolism in critically ill Covid patients is much more than normal in infections.

alktipping, Kitty and Andy like this.
  5. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to work in later stage rehabilitation of people with severe traumatic brain injury.

Although I never worked with patients in the acute phase, when they were on ventilators in induced coma, my memory is that they needed nutritional input of around 5000Kcal/day because of the extent of the trauma and the body's efforts of responding to that.

Sorry, don't have a reference.

When I first went into the field over 30 years ago, until it was well understood that in spite of being immobile, patients could have such high energy demands, some patients could end up malnourished.

Amw66, alktipping, Kitty and 4 others like this.