Thesis Identifying demographic trends in ME/CFS patients presenting with Fibromyalgia as a comorbidity in the nationwide inpatient sample database, Murali

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, May 30, 2023.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Source: Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
    Date May 15, 2023
    URL:
    https://www.proquest.com/openview/12cb80c96056a220f9e1d8bd7ea5fecc/1

Identifying demographic trends in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients presenting with Fibromyalgia as a comorbidity in the nationwide inpatient sample database
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Arvind Vishnu Murali - Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Icahn School of Medicine Mount Sinai, New York, NY 10029-5674, USA

Abstract

This retrospective observational study investigates the demographic differences between Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) patients with and without Fibromyalgia as a comorbidity using the Nationwide Inpatient Sample database. Results reveal significant differences in demographics, including a higher proportion of females and a younger mean age in the Fibromyalgia group. Additionally, the Fibromyalgia group had lower in-hospital mortality, higher proportion of patients discharged home or to short-term hospitals, shorter lengths of stay, and lower hospital charges. Despite having lower Elixhauser comorbidity scores, ME/CFS patients with Fibromyalgia had higher prevalence of certain conditions. Limitations include missing data, and further research is warranted to refine ME/CFS definitions and develop personalized treatment plans. The study highlights the need for better understanding of ME/CFS mechanisms, correlations with comorbidities like Fibromyalgia, and potential predictors to improve diagnosis and treatment.

--------
    (c) 2023 Icahn School of Medicine

Peter Trewhitt, RedFox and Trish like this.