Identifying functional cognitive disorder: a proposed diagnostic risk model, 2021, Stone, Carson et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Longer spoken response"... Give me a break!

Simbindi, Art Vandelay, FMMM1 and 6 others like this.
  3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

also if your response is very brief they say that you have emotional difficulties or something like that i cannot remember the actual term .

Simbindi, Art Vandelay, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Heads they win, tails you lose?

Simbindi, JoanneS, FMMM1 and 6 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good old Catch-22 disease.

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Relevance to ME can be seen as one of the references used to support this paragraph
    "FCD have been described as a heterogeneous but overlapping set of clinical presentations which produce genuine cognitive symptoms that are internally inconsistent and not the direct result of brain disease; including memory symptoms in anxiety or depression; excessive attentional focus on everyday memory problems; health anxiety about dementia; and memory symptoms as part of another functional disorder. 4 , 5"

is this paper, A unifying theory for cognitive abnormalities in functional neurological disorders (2018), Mark J Edwards et al.

8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is anyone allowed to be worried or anxious about anything at all these days, without being thought of as being mentally ill?

And yet, if I had a child who was suspected of having cancer, and I went out with a smile for everyone, cracked jokes, slept well, and was apparently as happy as Larry without a care in the world, I would be thought of as being completely weird by normal people, and the sick child with the suspected cancer will think I don't care about them at all. BPS and mental health treatment these days seems determined to make people act in a way that just isn't "normal"!

Sean, Simbindi, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  9. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i think any socalled research paper that includes hads questionnaire is heavily skewed in favour of the researchers personal bias . making their papers worthless .

Sean, Simbindi and Peter Trewhitt like this.