Idiopathic chronic fatigue (non-ME)

Discussion in 'Other specific illnesses' started by forestglip, Jul 22, 2024 at 11:58 PM.

1. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought there should be a thread to discuss chronic fatigue without the other symptoms of ME, but which has no apparent cause.

How prevalent is this? How many people are bedbound with severe fatigue, having to hear people say they are depressed or lazy because all their blood work is fine? How much is this being studied or advocated for?

2. forestglip

Epidemiology of ICF from Wikipedia:

"Fatigue is common in the general population and often caused by overwork, too much activity or a specific illness or disease. Around 20% of patients who visit their clinician report fatigue.[1] Prolonged fatigue is fatigue that persists for more than a month, and chronic fatigue is fatigue that lasts at least six consecutive months, which may be caused by a physical or psychological illness, or may be idiopathic (no known cause).[1] Chronic fatigue with a known cause is twice as common as idiopathic chronic fatigue.[6]

Idiopathic chronic fatigue affects between 2.4% and 6.42% of patients,[26] with females more likely to be affected than men.[1] Age at onset is typically over 50 years of age.[13] A significant number of patients present with idiopathic chronic fatigue as part of a mix of medically unexplained symptoms, while others present with a primary problem of fatigue alone.[1]"

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as i am concerned Idiopathic = the same as Mus basically the GP does not know .They really don't like to admit just how little they know about the human body considering the lack of real in depth study and research it would be foolish of any patient to expect full knowledge of every complaint they have .

Peter Trewhitt and forestglip like this.
  4. forestglip

I think that is basically the official definition:

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.