Idiopathic postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome: an attenuated form of acute pandysautonomia?, 1993, Schondorf & Low

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Jun 16, 2024.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    To characterize the idiopathic postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), we reviewed the records of all patients aged 20 to 51 who presented to the Mayo Autonomic Reflex Laboratory and who exhibited tachycardia at rest or during head-up tilt. These patients were usually women who experienced an acute onset of persistent lightheadedness and fatigue or gastrointestinal dysmotility. In seven patients, a viral illness may have preceded the onset of symptoms. In two instances, signs and symptoms of a small-fiber sensory neuropathy were present. Laboratory evaluation of autonomic function revealed increased diastolic blood pressure to tilt (5/16), increased Valsalva ratio, marked decrease in phase II of the Valsalva maneuver with normal phase IV overshoot, and normal forced respiratory sinus arrhythmia. Abnormal quantitative sudomotor axon reflex test and thermoregulatory sweat test and an excessive orthostatic increase of catecholamines were found in some patients. We conclude that in many instances POTS may be a manifestation of a mild form of acute autonomic neuropathy.

Source: https://www.neurology.org/doi/10.1212/wnl.43.1_part_1.132

2. ME/CFS Skeptic

This is a historic paper from 1993 where POTS was first defined.

I am very interested in reading what it says but do not have access to it. Anyone who can share a copy with me in PM?

3. ME/CFS Skeptic

Thanks to @SNT Gatchaman for helping me out.

In the study they had a control group of 20 men and 21 women aged 20 to 50 years. For the control group they report that "between the second and third minute of tilt, HR increased by 20.1 ± 8.9 bpm in men versus 14.8 ± 8.1 bpm in women." So it seems that they only did the tilt testing for 3 instead of 10 minutes.

POTS was defined as follows: (1) a sustained orthostatic HR increase >2 SD of mean HR of a control sex-matched population response, or (2) a baseline HR >110 bpm, with further increase during tilt of >20 bpm, or to >140 bpm.

Perhaps the idea that an increase of > 30 bpm is abnormal comes from the 21 women in this control group as 14.8 + 2*8.1 = 31. The fact this was taken from only 21 women and that their tilt test only took 3 minutes looks problematic (I suspect that for some might have had a higher HR increase if the test was increased to 10 minutes).