If I'm immunocompromised, how often can I get the Covid shot in the USA?

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by RedFox, Jan 13, 2024.

1. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I'm immunocompromised, how often can I get the Covid shot in the USA? And how to get it in practice? I would like to get it more often than yearly like healthy people do. I'm going to tell them I'm immunocompromised because I have ME. (I'm not here to argue about the veracity of that statement. The fact is I believe I'm vulnerable to Covid.)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html

"People Who May Get an Additional Updated COVID-19 Vaccine
    People aged 6 months and older who are moderately or severely immunocompromised may get additional updated COVID-19 vaccine doses 2 or more months after the last recommended COVID-19 vaccine. Talk to your healthcare provider for more information."

Then it's up to your doc to interpret you as moderately immuno-compromised. Maybe, since the antibodies produced from vaccination are at a high level only for 2-3 months, you could compromise and ask for a vaccine booster at 6 months after the previous one, unless there's a good reason for doing it more often.

RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@RedFox - you might also check with your county health department who often administer COVID and flu (and other) shots.

Peter Trewhitt and RedFox like this.