If someone has very positive reactions to COVID-19 vaccinations, are they less likely to have a bad reaction to the virus?

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by RedFox, Aug 27, 2023.

1. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If someone with ME has very positive reactions to COVID-19 vaccination, are they less likely to have a bad outcome from the actual virus? The Covid vaccine (I get the Moderna) gives me a bizarre side effect: A week of near remission from ME, including reduced severity/duration of PEM. I understand the best we can do is spitball, and I will not take anything as advice, but let's spitball.

I think it points to a lower risk of bad LC, but nothing is certain. I don't know the details of how the body responds differently to vaccines vs. viruses, but I'm sure it differs. The response to an actual virus infecting mucosa, lungs, blood vessels (incl. in the brain), nerves, etc. (I'm not up on exactly where SARS-CoV-2 infects in mild cases) might be more akin to "launch the nukes!"

2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One would like to think so @RedFox. However, the "novelty" of this virus plays havoc with our immune system, i.e. the second week of infection can result in a cytokine storm (if and when the oxygen saturation drops below 94). Impossible to know the answer to your question. Unless you have a known immunologic abnormality, that is.

How much havoc covid plays depends a lot on how young you are, but not solely. Everyone is different.

Bottom line is avoiding getting infected, period. Even a mild case can result in LC, but current research states that is less likely if one is vaccinated.

Other results of being infected that can occur within several months to a year (I think) are developing diabetes, having a heart attack or stroke, etc. These sequelae are more common in people who had been hospitalized for covid.

In general, the antibody levels produced by being vaccinated drop a lot after three months post vaccination. T-cells are then the mainstay of the adaptive response. Getting the new formulation of the vaccine coming out this fall is probably recommended for almost everyone in the USA, whether Moderna, Pfizer or other.

Having one's renal function lab done so you can get the full dose of the anti-viral Paxlovid in the first five days if you test positive (here in the US) is a good idea. Being allowed to take Paxlovid is dependent on what meds you are on (for serious conditions).

I am making sure I get the renal labs done yearly and have a discussion with my doc about how to get Paxlovid quickly should I contract covid.

Normal renal function means you get the full dose and can take Paxlovid; otherwise you have to find a place for IV Remdesivir administration, if you have renal disease. This will knock back the levels of the virus and result in a milder infection, less risk of all sequelae.

So in general: getting vaccinated, talking in advance to doc about Paxlovid (or other covid anti-virals), avoiding risky indoor gatherings, wearing an N95 where necessary

Apologies in advance for my Sunday sermon. All information in my post is from watching Dr. Daniel Griffin's weekly podcast on TWIV, microbe TV for the past three years. He is an infectious disease doc.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    oldtimer, DokaGirl, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a really positive reaction to the original AZ vaccine (I felt great!), and a positive reaction to the Moderna bivalent.

The Pfizer made no difference at all to ME symptoms, and the first dose might even be what triggered the bouts of atrial fibrillation I had for a few months. The second dose, which was a different form to the original, had no effect on ME nor any side effects.

So I don't know whether any conclusions could be drawn. I don't usually have positive or negative responses to vaccines (even the rabies one didn't make me feel unwell), and I take every jab I'm offered under the NHS programmes. But on the face of it, the mini-remissions seem to have been more to do with the brand of vaccine than the coronavirus itself?

Binkie4, Ash, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Some posts about bad reactions to vaccination have been moved to a new thread here.

Binkie4 likes this.