In Schizophrenia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome- and Fibromyalgia-Like Symptoms are Driven by Breakdown of the Paracellular Pathway..., 2022, Maes et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: In Schizophrenia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome- and Fibromyalgia-Like Symptoms are Driven by Breakdown of the Paracellular Pathway with Increased Zonulin and Immune Activation-Associated Neurotoxicity.

Abstract

Background: A meaningful part of schizophrenia patients suffer from physiosomatic symptoms (formerly named psychosomatic) which are reminiscent of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia (FF) and are associated with signs of immune activation and increased levels of tryptophan catabolites (TRYCATs).

Aims: To examine whether FF symptoms in schizophrenia are associated with breakdown of the paracellular pathway, zonulin, lowered natural IgM responses to oxidative specific epitopes (OSEs); and whether FF symptoms belong to the behavioral-cognitive-physical-psychosocial-(BCPS)-worsening index consisting of indices of a general cognitive decline (G-CoDe), symptomatome of schizophrenia, and quality of life (QoL)-phenomenome.

Methods: FF symptoms were assessed using the Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Rating scale in 80 schizophrenia patients and 40 healthy controls and serum cytokines/chemokines, IgA levels to TRYCATs, IgM to OSEs, zonulin and transcellular/paracellular (TRANS/PARA) molecules were assayed using ELISA methods.

Results: A large part (42.3%) of the variance in the total FF score was explained by the regression on the PARA/TRANS ratio, pro-inflammatory cytokines, IgM to zonulin, IgA to TRYCATs (all positively) and IgM to OSEs (inversely). There were highly significant correlations between the total FF score and G-CoDe, symtopmatome, QoL phenomenome and BCPS-worsening score. FF symptoms belong to a common core shared by G-CoDe, symtopmatome, and QoL phenomenome.

Discussion: The physio-somatic symptoms of schizophrenia are driven by various pathways including increased zonulin, breakdown of the paracellular tight-junctions pathway, immune activation with induction of the TRYCAT pathway, and consequent neurotoxicity. It is concluded that FF symptoms are part of the phenome of schizophrenia and BCPS-worsening as well.

Paywall, https://www.eurekaselect.com/article/125378

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Zonulin and tight junctions are pretty cool, and possible to influence through environmental factors such as diet and possible sunlight exposure (high vitamin D levels in cell culture is protective against tight junction disruptors, but values used in such studies are higher than what is commonly seen in humans).

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

physiosomatic symptoms (formerly named psychosomatic)

So is this just a rebrand? Or is it a genuine attempt to move away from the psychogenic presumption?

shak8, rainy, V.R.T. and 10 others like this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be helpful if they were to descibe the physiosomatic symptoms which they are comparing. Perhaps they do in the full article. Do patients with schizophrenia really suffer from something comparable to PEM?

Michelle, shak8, rainy and 3 others like this.
  6. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Physio-somatic symptoms in schizophrenia: association with depression, anxiety, neurocognitive deficits and the tryptophan catabolite pathway

Buranee Kanchanatawan & Sunee Sirivichayakul & Supaksorn Thika & Kiat Ruxrungtham & André F. Carvalho & Michel Geffard & George Anderson & Cristiano Noto & Rada Ivanova & Michael Maes

Abstract
    "To investigate the frequency of physio-somatic symptoms (PS) symptoms in schizophrenia and their rela-tion to positive, negative and affective symptoms; neurocognitive deficits and impairments in the tryptophan catabolite (TRYCAT) pathway. Eighty four patients with schizophrenia and 40 healthy controls were assessed using the 12 item Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Rating scale (FF) and scales for negative and positive symptoms, depression and anxiety. Cognitive functioning was tested using the Cambridge Neuropsychological Test Automated Battery (CANTAB). Other assessments included: immunoglobulin (Ig)A and IgM responses to tryptophan catabolites (TRYCATs), namely quinolinic (QA), 3-OH-kynurenine (3HK), picolinic (PA), xanthurenic (XA) and kynurenic acid (KA) and anthranilic acid (AA). More than 50% of the patients studied had elevated levels of physio-somatic (PS) symptoms, significantly co-occurring with depression and anxiety, but not with negative or positive symptoms. PS symptoms were significantly associated with IgA/IgM responses to TRYCATs, including increased IgA responses to 3 HK, PA and XA, and lowered IgA to QA and AA. Fatigue, muscle pain and tension, autonomic and cognitive symptoms and a flu-like malaise were strongly associated with cognitive impairments in spatial plan-
    ning and working memory, paired associative learning, visual sustained attention and attention set shifting. PS symptoms in schizophrenia aggregate with depression and anxiety symptoms and may be driven by TRYCAT patterning of IgA/IgM- responses, with IgA indicating mucosal-mediated changes and IgM indicating regulatory functions. As such, the patterning of IgA/IgM responses to TRYCATs may indicate differential TRYCATs regulation of neuronal and glia activity that act to regulate PS signalling in schizophrenia."

Full article on Sci Hub: https://sci-hub.se/10.1007/s11011-017-9982-7

Sean, chrisb and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to the preprint version, this Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Rating scale (FF) is just a mixture of symptoms from both FM and CFS conditions, without PEM. Here is how this test was used to obtain the FF physiosomatic score (the authors kept only the "somatic" items, but excluding sleep disturbances):

Although I only skimmed the paper, the authors do not seem to refer particularly to the "psychological" side.

For those interested, here is a link to the preprint version:
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.09.21256897v1.full-text

Michelle, Midnattsol, Sean and 3 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Aren't tryptophan catabolites too small for meaningful Ig responses?

The only people talking about this is M Maes and colleagues - I can't find any attempted replications by other groups in the 6 years they've been publishing this stuff.

FMMM1, CRG, boolybooly and 3 others like this.
  10. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or to look at it another way, are patients with primary ME CFS being diagnosed as schizophrenic?

My experiences with diagnosed ME CFIDS would lead me to believe this was very possible due to the way apparent neurological inflammation from immune activity against viruses can affect sensitivity to stimuli, cognition and autonomic balance in a way which can can cause significant psychological dysfunction including profound referential problems if inappropriately managed i.e. a kind of chronic delirium akin to the delirium which is sometimes attributed to fever inducing infections.

The question is how many? What proportion of schizophrenia diagnoses are of this kind, where an immune disease is being treated as a mental illness, thus perpetuating it and obstructing appropriate management which might improve it?

11. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I looked at this video* - for like 2 minutes and haven't looked at the abstract - but that doesn't stop me having opinions!

Comments re "tight junctions" or whatever remind me of James Baraniuk's** work - he's taken out a patent ---

I also recall folks like Chris Armstrong talking about intestinal permeability --- pathogens (or stuff they produce - there a LPPS ---) being translocated across the gut and leading to ME/CFS ---

If any of this is relevant then would it turn up in GWAS [Chris Ponting's study] & if so what would you expect to see? Markers related to the genes coding for proteins linked to junctions or whatever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OPSJmqpSCM

**https://faculty.georgetown.edu/baraniuj/Site/Welcome.html

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I can make out this is complete gobbledygook. Not just psychobabble but behavioral-cognitive-physical-psychosociobabble. Antibodies to tryptophan metabolites sound highly dubious.

Whatever that might mean.

This is just a word salad.

13. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Sure that could happen, but there are a lot of environmental factors that can influence these proteins and how they behave. Potential detriemental effects from diet, drugs, infection, bloodflow to the gut etc can be present even if the genes are fine.

Amw66, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  14. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.