Independent investigation of the NHS in England - Sept 2024

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Sep 12, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lord Darzi's report on the state of the National Health Service in England.

report available here:
    Independent investigation of the NHS in England - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read the summary letter. I am afraid that it is mostly blather - a mixture of the obvious and the meaningless. The emphasis on putting money into 'the community' is the worst possible advice. Modern medicine needs high quality care and that requires the resources of hospitals. Community activities like domiciliary visits and OT services worked fine when organised from hospitals in the 1980s. Everything broke down when we were not allowed to do anything except send a recommendation back to a GP.

Todays comments from the government on no more money without reorganisation are frightening - only too reminiscent of all those reorganisations we had in the past that progressively brought a functioning service to its knees.​

bobbler, ukxmrv, hotblack and 8 others like this.
  3. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wouldn't be surprised if hospital trusts began taking over community care in one or more areas.

4. hotblack

hotblack Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Except if money is put in without those within the system giving up what they’ve been protecting and admitting they need to change, then nothing will improve either. And while I have a lot of sympathy for many within the NHS, even those I know and family working there know changes are needed. Institutions and people are resistant to making changes.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely agree more money is needed. Particularly for capital investment, staff training and fixing social care. And I hope that will come down the line.

It’s a tricky one. I think we can all recognise that ‘reforms’ have caused countless issues over the years, but changes are needed. And we all know money is needed but the question is from whom?

I have some hope, but I expect some serious bumps along the road. Both politically and within the NHS.

bobbler and Wonko like this.