Inhibition of Upf2-Dependent Nonsense-Mediated Decay Leads to Behavioral and Neurophysiological Abnormalities by Activating the Immune Response

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Jaybee00, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cell.com/neuron/pdfExtended/S0896-6273(19)30733-0

Used cyclophosphamide to treat autism symptoms in mice by reducing brain inflammation.

merylg and Hutan like this.
  2. Jaybee00

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I should take more drugs, and become a mouse, and all my problems will go away?

Will I be as smart as a mouse tho?

That's the question.

(
    It appears that the becoming a mouse (or a fly) part is critical, as people have been taking drugs, many of which may have an antiinflammatory effect, for quite a while now, and most of them have significant problems.

But they still toute this as a 'cure', a non nonsense cure no less, for ASD?

Squeak, squeak, squeak!!! - a rough translation being, 'how many times do I have to say it - I am not a mouse')

shak8, alktipping, Starlight and 4 others like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why can't we accept that people are not all the same?
    Isn't cyclophosphamide pretty risky in itself?

5. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Taking anti inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen has never made me less autistic... (Edit: I wasn't taking them in an attempt to be less autistic! Just for the normal reasons that people take ibuprofen!)

And I wouldnt want to take a drug with nasty side effects like cyclophosphamide. How about doing some research into what kind of support helps autistic people, and getting non-autistic people to accept people's differences and make society more inclusive for them.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  6. Sarah94

The autistic community kinda has the opposite problem as the ME community. The vast majority of autistic people [or rather, of the autistic people who are able to communicate their opinion] want MUCH LESS biomedical research.

Some people (mainly the relatives of autistic people) disagree though due to the severe difficulties that are experienced by some autistic children and adults.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    alktipping likes this.
  7. Sarah94

And that's not even getting started on the questionable scientific validity of mouse autism studies like this...

alktipping likes this.
  8. Sarah94

I am sure some autistic people must have at some point received cyclophosphamide as a cancer treatment. Did it change their autism? If it did, we haven't heard anything about it.

9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have family members with autism who are doing quite well to very well but also ones who have a miserable constrained life. A treatment that helps even a little could make a massive difference just like one for ME.

Sarah94 and alktipping like this.
  10. Sarah94

Sure, but cyclophosphamide is a naaaaasty drug.
    Obviously if it was found to help people then people would be free to decide whether the benefits were worth the side effects.
    But I'd be very concerned about it being forced onto children whose parents get to make the decisions for them.
    Although, if brain inflammation were found to be involved in autism, I'd hope that there'd be less unpleasant anti inflammatory drugs that could be used rather than cyclophosphamide!

Mithriel and Trish like this.
  11. Jaybee00

They also used minocycline successfully on the mice.