Inosine Pranobex: A Key Player in the Game Against a Wide Range of Viral Infections and Non-Infectious Diseases, 2019, Jiri Sliva et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Mij, Oct 21, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Inosine pranobex (IP), commonly known as inosine acedoben dimepranol, isoprinosine and methisoprinol, has been proven to positively impact the host’s immune system, by enhancing T-cell lymphocyte proliferation and activity of natural killer cells, increasing levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and thereby restoring deficient responses in immunosuppressed patients. At the same time, it has been shown that it can affect viral RNA levels and hence inhibit growth of several viruses. Due to its immunomodulatory and antiviral properties, and its safety profile, it has been widely used since 1971 against viral infections and diseases, among which subacute sclerosis panencephalitis, herpes simplex virus, human papilloma virus, human immunodeficiency virus, influenza and acute respiratory infections, cytomegalovirus and Epstein–Barr virus infections. Following an analysis of almost five decades of scientific literature since its original approval, we here summarize in vivo and in vitro studies manifesting the means in which IP impacts the host’s immune system. We also provide a synopsis of therapeutic trials in the majority of which IP was found to have a beneficial effect. Lastly, positive results from limited studies, suggesting the putative future use of IP in new therapeutic indications are briefly described. In order to support use of IP against viral infections apart from those already approved, and to establish its use in clinical practice, further well-designed and executed trials are warranted.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is characterised by symptoms such as severe fatigue, exercise intolerance, myalgia, cognitive deficit, dizziness and problems in sleep, thinking and concentration. It is most common in people between 40 and 60 years old, but it can also affect children, adolescents, and adults of all ages, with women being more susceptible. Its pathogenicity has not been yet defined and remains undiagnosed in 90% of affected people. It is speculated that changes in the immune system, such as chronic production of cytokines, decreased NK activity and differences in markers of T-cell activation, may contribute to the onset of CFS. There is no cure or established treatment for CFS, and healthcare professionals are mainly trying to cure the symptoms rather the disease itself [94].

The safety and efficacy of IP in CFS were investigated in a single-blind, placebo-controlled study of 16 CFS patients, with a mean age of 45.6 years [17]. Ten patients were randomly assigned to a regimen of IP for 12 weeks, consisting of 3 g/day on the odd weeks and 1 g/day on the even weeks, and six patients received methylcellulose placebo tablets. Following the 12 weeks of treatment, patients from both the treatment and the placebo groups received IP for 16 more weeks. Immune measures as well as responses of the patients to three tests, i.e., the Activities of Daily Living Questionnaire, the Cognitive Deficit Subset of the Symptom Checklist Questionnaire and the Karnofsky Performance Score, were evaluated.

Of the ten patients treated initially with IP, six reported improvement in their symptoms (improved group) and the median percentage reduction in cognitive symptoms for this group was 16%. The results from this study suggest that patients with CFS could benefit from treatment with IP. Nevertheless, further studies are warranted, with an adequate sample size and a longer follow-up period, in order to extract firm conclusions as to the efficacy of IP.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12325-019-00995-6#Abs1

Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
    Ash, shak8 and duncan like this.
  2. Mij

My n=1 from taking Immunovir (Inosine Pranobex) prescribed by a virologist who saw over 200 ME pts.

Yes it was definitely a game changer for me. I went from feeling 90% improved to having a terrible relapse in 3 weeks from taking this medication that reactivated EBV and HHV6. The symptoms were quick in that I could no longer walk on a downtown street and had to be helped into a cab to get home. It completely changed my baseline. I also developed OI.

cfsandmore, sebaaa, RedFox and 9 others like this.
  3. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh wow was not expecting that @Mij!
    Had just been thinking where can I get some. Perhaps a little more caution is required.

How long did it take you to recover from taking this drug?

Mij and oldtimer like this.
  4. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the late 1990s my integrative medicine GP took part in an Irish study looking at the effects of Immunovir on ME. I can't remember any details now but it had no effect on me whatsoever.

Ash, Mij, RedFox and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mij

It took 2.5 months.

The doctor I saw was one of the authors from that small study for CFS patients taking Immunovir. We did some testing before I took it, all my lymphocytes (CD4 and CD8 et) were all way below normal. When I called to inform him what had happened, he told me to stop taking it and that it was 'an immune response'.

oldtimer, Wonko and Ash like this.
  6. Mij

My doctor told me that his patients felt "less tired" from taking it.

oldtimer and Ash like this.
  7. Dom

Dom Established Member (Voting Rights)

IP had the same effect on me, not sure why but my own theory is that the ebv infection has gone latent in a much wider variety of tissues and organs than was originally the case in the first 4 years of my illness.

But I also relapsed after taking it, I am not sure how long the recovery time was. Equilibrant has a similair effect and it took a similair time to recover from it. The thing is a lot of these would have been helpful I think in the first 4 years of me being sick, but since then I've just had bad reactivations from them and other similair treatments.

I personally think it's the cytokine profile they produce, which is quite strong. The wrong cytokine surge maybe just unlocks ebv and hhv-6 to replicate like crazy.

cfsandmore, oldtimer and Ash like this.
  8. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it was given to treat those viruses?

Mij and oldtimer like this.
  9. Mij

One positive from taking Immunovir was that it eliminated very painful oral ulcers/virus outbreaks. I would get these outbreaks every 2 years 10 before I got M.E.

The virologist I saw authored several papers on EBV complications.

NelliePledge and Ash like this.