Interpersonal dynamics & therapeutic relationship in patients with functional somatic syndromes: A metasynthesis of case studies, 2020, Krivzov et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://doi.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037/cou0000529
    Sci hub, unable to access via at time of posting

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Nope - quite happy to feel furious about this drivel of an abstract, which is as bad as any I have seen. Quite happy not to please these particular 'unreliable others'.

Attributing the dropout of patients from psychotherapy to
    looks a lot like the authors are avoiding coming to terms with the negative emotions arising from realising that their therapy is a failure.

Hmm, sounds like an excuse to avoid the figures that accurately describe the failure of the therapists and instead just make stuff up.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Puts on rant hat

Here's the simple explanation: you're full of shit and have no idea what you're doing. That's it. You're all full of shit, we can see through it and dislike being blatantly lied to our faces while we are suffering life-destroying illness. Stop being full of shit, stop blatantly lying to people's faces, stop gaslighting people begging for help and you will never have to wonder why people call you out for being full of shit.

You're right that there is an interpersonal element here, but it's 100% on you, you are wholly and completely to blame here. Because you're completely full of shit and, spoiler alert, most people dislike that when it comes to their welfare. If you can't stop lying just go away, nothing of value will be lost.

Hat off

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the quote in post #1...

mentalization deficits

Can anyone tell me what "mentalization deficits" are?

doctor hopping

If I took my car to a garage for repair and the mechanic was a poor diagnostician of car troubles, which meant I had to go back over and over again and still ended up with a barely functioning car, I would be considered mad for wasting my money by not finding someone else to fix my car.

The medical profession has convinced itself that all doctors are extremely competent and excellent diagnosticians and if a patient doesn't get better then the patient is at fault, not the doctor. Since patients know this idea is utter b******s of course we try to find someone who is actually competent. (This probably explains the popularity of that TV series House MD.) But medical records can be used to "pass on" the incompetence to other doctors by recording the idea that the patient is mentally ill and has some kind of functional problem, so new doctors shouldn't waste time on the patient.

This idea that trying to find someone who can fix my body is somehow different to wanting to find someone who can fix my car has always baffled me. And also the idea that "doctor shopping - or hopping" - is somehow the sign of a diseased mind is just plain weird as far as I'm concerned.

Mithriel, rainy, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not junk science, but gunk 'science.'

Sean, Simbindi, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it really maladaptive to avoid wasting your time with a moron who will not listen to you and always assumes that what you have to say is always wrong . closed minded people who are either mentally challenged or knowingly taking part in a huge fraud should not be surprised when patients walk away from them . is this the only field where such papers complaining of their failure blame the patients .

rainy, Hutan, spinoza577 and 7 others like this.
  7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This paper is one of the most staggering examples of projection i think i have ever seen. It is almost spectacular in it's illustration of the dearth of self awareness & humility among many therapists.

Indeed.

edited - to make it clear it the paper i was talking about - not Arnie Pye's quote!

Mithriel, Hutan, spinoza577 and 3 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

TRIPE

barrels full of the stuff

alktipping, Hutan, Cheshire and 2 others like this.
  9. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is in the Journal of Counseling Psychology.

I noodled around and apparently it is a fairly high-impact journal, not some obscure dumpster. (see here, #27.)

In fact it is published by the American Psychological Association.

Evidently the APA has no scientific standards. Or maybe it will waive them as a "professional courtesy", as therapists' first-hand determinations are surely beyond question.

This may be the finest template for a spoof paper yet.

Mithriel, alktipping, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Jeebus, do these clowns ever look in a mirror?

All of the above could be fully explained by incompetence, dishonesty, and cowardice from the medical profession, and patients struggling to survive it all.

Don't you just love how the crowd that go on and on and on about the importance of social determinants of health are also utterly blind to their role in creating these problems? They still believe they are neutral observers, not active participants.

This paper is just straight propaganda. Purely political. There is no science in it. It is an excuse generation exercise, so they never have to face the truth about themselves.

Mithriel, alktipping, rvallee and 7 others like this.