Thesis Investigation of Protein Biomarkers in Nasal Lavage Fluid in Patients with Chronic Fatigue and Healthy Controls, 2024, Fjermeros & Tobiassen

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Jul 18, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://ntnuopen.ntnu.no/ntnu-xmlui/handle/11250/3140353

Investigation of Protein Biomarkers in Nasal Lavage Fluid in Patients with Chronic Fatigue and Healthy Controls
    Fjermeros, Rikke Baarli; Tobiassen, Karoline
    Bachelor thesis

URI
    https://hdl.handle.net/11250/3140353
    Date
    Metadata
    Show full item record
    Collections
    Description
    Full text not available

Abstract

Kronisk utmattelsessyndrom (CFS) er preget av utmattelse som varer i mer enn seks måneder uten å være knyttet til andre underliggende lidelser, og diagnostiseres ved utelukkelse. Diagnostiseringsprosessen er tidkrevende og ressurskrevende, noe som utgjør en betydelig belastning for pasientene. Derfor er det et kritisk behov for biomarkører for å effektivisere diagnostiseringen og forbedre forståelsen av sykdommen. Denne studien hadde som mål å optimalisere påvisningen og kvantifiseringen av proteiner i neseskyllevæske (NLF) ved hjelp av todimensjonal gel elektroforese (2-DE). Etter optimaliseringen ble en komparativ proteomikk-tilnærming brukt for å kartlegge proteomet i NLF hos pasienter diagnostisert med CFS, sammenlignet med proteomet i NLF hos friske kontroller. Viktige metodiske forbedringer inkluderte sammenligning av to forskjellige IPG-striper fra GE Healthcare og SERVA, samt sammenligning av en in-house ekvilibreringsløsning med SERVA’s ekvilibreringsløsning. Målet med optimaliseringen var å begrense produktene til en enkelt leverandør, SERVA, for å effektivisere prosessen, samt å forbedre påvisningen av proteiner i NLF. En sammenligning av fire prøver fra CFS-pasienter med to friske kontroller, ved hjelp av et 2-DE horisontal oppsett med SERVA’s IPG-striper, protokoll og ekvilibreringsløsning, avdekket seks statistisk signifikante proteinspotter. De identifiserte proteinene var prolaktin-induserbart protein (PIP), Clara-celleprotein (CC16), mammaglobin-B (MAM-B) og lysozymer. Én spot er uidentifisert og krever videre analyse. Disse funnene understreker potensialet for en proteomisk tilnærming i identifiseringen av biomarkører for CFS i NLF.

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is characterized by fatigue lasting more than six months without being linked to other underlying disorders and is diagnosed by exclusion.

The diagnostic process is time-consuming and requires a lot of resources, posing a significant burden on patients.

Consequently, there is a critical need for biomarkers to streamline diagnosis and enhance understanding of the disease.

This study aimed to optimize the detection and quantification of proteins in nasal lavage fluid (NLF) using two-dimensional gel electrophoresis (2-DE)

Following this optimization, a comparative proteomic approach was used to investigate and map the NLF proteome in patients diagnosed with CFS, compared to NLF proteome in healthy controls.

Key methodical improvements included comparing two different IPG strips supplied by GE Healthcare and SERVA and comparing the in-house equilibration solution to SERVA`s equilibration solution.

The optimization focused on limiting products to a single supplier, SERVA, to streamline the process, along with improving the detection of proteins in NLF. Comparative analysis of four CFS patient samples and two healthy controls using a 2-DE horizontal setup utilizing SERVA`s IPG strips, protocol and equilibration solution, revealed six statistically significant protein spots.

Identified proteins included prolactin-inducible protein (PIP), clara cell protein (CC16), mammaglobin-B (MAM-B) and lysozymes.

One spot remains unidentified and requires further analysis.

These findings highlight the potential for proteomic approaches in identifying biomarkers for CFS in NLF.

Publisher
    NTNU