Opinion Is fibromyalgia an autoimmune disorder?, 2023, Clauw, Shoenfeld et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Dolphin, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1568997223001581

Autoimmunity Reviews
    Available online 25 August 2023, 103424
    In Press, Journal Pre-proof

Is fibromyalgia an autoimmune disorder?
    Daniel Clauw a, Piercarlo Sarzi-Puttini b c, Greta Pellegrino b, Yehuda Shoenfeld d e
    a
    Anesthesiology Department, Chronic Pain and Fatigue Research Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    b
    Rheumatology Department, IRCCS Ospedale Galeazzi-Sant'Ambrogio, Milano, Italy
    c
    Rheumatology, UniversitĂ  Statale di Milano, Italy
    d
    Zabludowicz Center for Autoimmune Diseases, Sheba Medical Center, Tel-Hashomer, Ramat Gan 52621, Israel
    e
    Reichman University, Herzelia 46101, Israel
    Received 7 August 2023, Accepted 24 August 2023, Available online 25 August 2023.

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autrev.2023.103424Get rights and content

Abstract

Fibromyalgia (FM) is a multifactorial syndrome which includes not only widespread pain and stiffness, now recognized as major symptoms, but also numerous other somatic, emotional, and neuropsychic manifestation.

The lack of specific validated biological and instrumental biomarkers has made FM a condition of unexplained medical significance, and its pathophysiology remains controversial and subject to debate.

The current hypothesis regarding the pathogenesis of FM proposes that its development is influenced by various mechanism, including genetic predisposition, stressful life events, inflammatory processes, and cognitive-emotional factors.

However, despite the extensive research conducted to date, the available data do not provide a clear understanding of the pathogenesis of FM.

In this article, we report the opposing viewpoints of two leading experts who debate the question of whether FM is an autoimmune disease, based on scientific data regarding this condition.

Both perspectives are discussed and the latest evidence on the pathophysiology of FM is reported to provide a comprehensive understanding of this complex syndrome.

shak8 and Ash like this.
  2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t like the sound of this :cautious:

shak8 and Dolphin like this.
  3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This opinion-review piece highlights the ongoing lack of meaningful FM research.

Though it does point out the heterogeneity of the syndrome.

It is really sad that it is common and very painful and disruptive to one's life and the science hasn't advanced much in 20 years.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sad. My impression is that not much is raised privately for fibromyalgia research by charities and the like worldwide particularly related to the size of population affected. A lot less than ME/CFS I think.

shak8 and Ash like this.