Is the post-COVID-19 syndrome a severe impairment of acetylcholine-orchestrated neuromodulation that responds to nicotine administration?

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Mij, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Marco Leitzke, 2023

Abstract
    Following a SARS-CoV-2 infection, many individuals suffer from post-COVID-19 syndrome. It makes them unable to proceed with common everyday activities due to weakness, memory lapses, pain, dyspnea and other unspecific physical complaints.

Several investigators could demonstrate that the SARS-CoV-2 related spike glycoprotein (SGP) attaches not only to ACE-2 receptors but also shows DNA sections highly affine to nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs). The nAChR is the principal structure of cholinergic neuromodulation and is responsible for coordinated neuronal network interaction. Non-intrinsic viral nAChR attachment compromises integrative interneuronal communication substantially. This explains the cognitive, neuromuscular and mood impairment, as well as the vegetative symptoms, characterizing post-COVID-19 syndrome. The agonist ligand nicotine shows an up to 30-fold higher affinity to nACHRs than acetylcholine (ACh).

We therefore hypothesize that this molecule could displace the virus from nAChR attachment and pave the way for unimpaired cholinergic signal transmission. Treating several individuals suffering from post-COVID-19 syndrome with a nicotine patch application, we witnessed improvements ranging from immediate and substantial to complete remission in a matter of days.

https://bioelecmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s42234-023-00104-7

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I seem to recall many years ago that nicotine was also advised for M.E?

3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was. I remember discussion on using nicotine patches but can't remember where I saw it

4. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Diana Driscoll (Optometrist...) reported using nicotine patches and promoted a theory/treatment around their effect on the vagus nerve in POTS.

She pushes supplements that support "all functions of acetycholine". Whatever that means o_O

5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See also: An experimental test of the nicotinic hypothesis of COVID-19 (2022)

Abstract

RedFox, Wyva, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also googled around and found some reports on social media (Reddit) from people who had tried this under broadly similar circumstances to the four case reports in this thread's article. (I'll just leave links rather than re-quoting their comments.)

First link is from 3 months ago. They reported 7 days ago to have had only modest improvement.

Another was planning and recently reported back a very poor response one week post.

Wyva, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the author's Twitter, literally it is just a collection of retweets of happy recoveries and rapid improvements, and it reminds me a bit of an LP account. If nicotine patches really give you significant rapid improvement, they should do a trial, it shouldn't be a social media thing.

https://twitter.com/LeitzkeMarco

Also the videos on his FB profile sound more like advertisements for the therapy: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100091249983747

It seems to be popular with certain covid long haulers.

The fact I know about this is that people in my group every once in a while DM me to recommend me these "promising" therapies that somehow only thrive in social media.

And the above study is literally just a case series of 4 people, no control group, no blinding, literally they just rated their symptoms on a scale of 0-5.

Again, if this works so well, he should do an actual trial.

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just saw this highlighted by someone as a reason to be wary:
    Nicotine applied by transdermal patch induced HSV-1 reactivation and ocular shedding in latently infected rabbits
    M E Myles et al. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2003 Apr
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12804057/

Peter Trewhitt likes this.