Jama - Prevalence and Characteristics with Post-COVID-19 Condition Among Non-hospitalized Adolescents... - Selvakumar, Wyller et al, 2023

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I couldn't stomach reading more in Khrono about this. Not surprised there were no critical questions ;)

Good to see Wyller acknowledge they keep to themselves and reference each others work. I don't see what this particular study contributes though.

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolute cringe. Dude talks about himself like he's some sort of authority. He's accomplished nothing and is as much on the wrong side of this as HIV deniers are with AIDS. This "study" is just another useless trash that will be completely forgotten.

For all the talk about a participation trophy generation, this is an actual failure trophy profession. Failure is actually rewarded, coddled and encouraged. What a complete mess.

3. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cringe indeed. 20 years of work in the field? What has he got to show for it? Has he ever helped a single person with his “research”?

Hutan, SNT Gatchaman, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  4. Midnattsol

Go Søraas :)

Norske eksperter uenige om long covid-studie
    Norwegian experts disagree on long covid study

Wyller again with the "biological, psychological and social mechanisms are important".

Peter Trewhitt, Hutan, Sean and 3 others like this.
  5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet has an article about the study today. It's paywalled but title and the two first sentences are:

New study: Long Covid may be caused by lockdown

Long-term covid symptoms affected as many young people who had not had covid-19 as those who had been infected, according to a new Norwegian study.
    - It is unlikely that the lockdown didn't affect young people, says the expert on the subject.

(I don't know who the expert who comments the study is. But it's a strange comment if the expert is Swedish, as they never had a lockdown, but do have long Covid)

6. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What are these people smoking? April 2020 was fun and relaxing, like a vacation.

7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Filled with some inventive and truly excellent TikToks.

Peter Trewhitt, Amw66 and Kalliope like this.
  8. SNT Gatchaman

Letter to the Editor of Journal of Medical Virology in response to this paper in JAMA: Post-COVID syndrome, the real matter of debate (2023, Journal of Medical Virology). Pay-walled, so some clips.

Commentary —

They recalculate relative risk of LC in Covid-negative patients. Here they parenthesise a 95% confidence interval but I can't see a range given. I assume the error is the range, but may be misunderstanding the statistical reporting in this section.

Concluding —

Grigor, Sean, Wyva and 6 others like this.
  9. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a pity one of the authors has an interest in ozone therapy.

10. Midnattsol

Would be nice if people would take such things into account when listening to certain researchers with an interest in lightning process ;)

11. SNT Gatchaman