King's College IMPARTS

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Suffolkres, Jan 6, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Suffolkres

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are good ways and bad ways to link together mental and physical healthcare and this sounds like a bad way. Discussing the effect of anxiety and depression on long-term health outcomes and such.

Sean, alktipping, Louie41 and 2 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

NelliePledge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've had a quick look.
    They do research and run training courses.
    The general idea is that people with long term physical diseases sometimes also need help for anxiety and depression, and people with psychiatric disorders sometimes also have physical disorders. So it makes sense for them to have access to care for both.

It seems pretty standard stuff to me. I'm not sure why it's flagged here as relevant to us.

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and CRG like this.
  6. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"It seems pretty standard stuff to me. I'm not sure why it's flagged here as relevant to us."

Probably because of the presence of Matthew Hotopf on the team.

Amw66, Sean, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  7. Suffolkres

The origins of this are here predating NICE 2021 but the dye was set..... Just Google 'King's IMPARTS' and see.

Following the history of our understanding in Suffolk Coproduction, Commissioning and ICS matters (and our recent looking at KINGS IMPARTS and at the list of 'MUS' for our current Pathway work) and you see the potential for trouble...KINGs links with Barts, etc etc

We in 'SNEEICS' are dealing with 'mus' being forced into our Pathway Work for discussion by Public Health & Wellbeing plus steer from most senior ICS Officers and their love of 'big data').

MUS etc could scupper our attempts to deliver NICE NG 206 currently in Suffolk properly, we feel very apprehensive atm ... and we will explain later...

Believe you me, (excuse the pun) this is material to the ICS and NHS England and will steer 'us' and other ICs off course for the DHSC delivery plan ... of NG206.

Attached Files:

Amw66, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  8. Suffolkres

That's the problem. THis has become 'standard stuff' in CCGS now ICS and NHS England LOVE it and it is being used for ME.

9. Suffolkres

From around 2012...? When NHS England took over and did not like burden of LTCs?

https://imparts.org/about/....
    patient’s electronic health record...

Development of Care Pathways

Prior to implementing IMPARTS, the clinical team and a member of the IMPARTS undertake a mapping exercise to identify possible care pathways for patients identified as needing onward referral or support. Pathways include mental health support such as psychologically informed care within the team, a team psychologist, a liaison psychiatrist or external pathways such as an Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) service.

* https://www.maudsleybrc.nihr.ac.uk/...s-integrating-mental-and-physical-healthcare/
    IMPARTS: Integrating mental and physical healthcare

10. Trish

I can't see that document you've linked on the Kings website. Do you have a link?

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  11. Suffolkres

https://imparts.org/about/

12. Suffolkres

Hi Andy,
    I was not sure if this thread was suitable, or of the forum section was appropriate, as issue crosses several threads.
    For us currently in Suffolk there is a more detailed tale to tell (which we will be sharing with DHSC in due course). Maybe it should be on Service development or similar?

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

How and why?

And for anybody who didn't know who is trying to follow this, NG206 is the new NICE guideline for ME/CFS. I don't know what ICS is, so can't help there.

What?

You have dropped a URL into a new thread with a mysterious title merely saying "This needs watching.". For those forum members without the energy to investigate further this then will mean nothing and for those with the energy to investigate further, as I guess that you seem to be hoping that we will, you don't give any reasoning as to why we should.

Now that we have coaxed further comment out of you, I'm still largely none the wiser. Doing my best to read between the lines, are you trying to say that you believe that the philosophy that IMPARTS is based on includes MUS, and that this is being used to impact on NHS service delivery for pwME? If so, what is new?

14. Trish

Thanks, I meant the specific document you attached in post #7
    Is it anywhere in their current documents? If so, please can you link it.
    The attitude to patients demonstrated in the clip you posted is dreadful. That's why I want to establish when it was produced and whether it's still on the Kings website.

I think we've known for ages that people at Kings like Chalder, Moss-Morris, and no doubt Wessely and Hotopf see ME/CFS as basically psychosomatic. We've also known that that the IAPT program is spreading to include so called MUS.

I don't see anything new here, but I agree it's concerning if local health authorities and NHS England want to include ME/CFS in MUS/IAPT provision.

alktipping, Lilas, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  15. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While the section for patients on the website is revealing about IMPARTS’ approach (the usual BPS fear avoidance and deconditioning model), it gives shocking ableist advice given 1) the cardiovascular and respiratory complications caused by Covid, 2) the disregard for vulnerable people in society as evidenced by the absence of safety measures against Covid and 3) that it was written by “the Integrated Psychosocial Team for Cardiorespiratory (IPTC) at King’s College Hospital” who should be well aware of the former two points. https://imparts.org/resources-self-help/mind-body-living-better-with-a-health-condition/

TIP: FACE YOUR FEARS

Lockdowns and the shielding programme have meant that we have had to stay inside more than normal. This kept us safe before we had COVID-19 vaccines and other treatments.

Most people with health conditions can now safely go out and visit loved ones (depending on the latest government advice, of course). However, you might have lost a lot of your confidence about coping with the symptoms of your health condition when away from home.

The best way to regain this confidence is by gradually doing more things outside. As you do this, you’ll learn more about what you can do.​

16. Suffolkres

Andy, sorry for the use of acronyms and any irritation and confusion I might have caused.......

* Yes, the philosophy of IMPARTS (Integrating Mental & Physical healthcare: Research, Training & Services) 'seeks to bridge the gap between mental and physical healthcare in general hospital settings.'
    * IMPARTS will translate to mus, unless I and others here in Suffolk are wrong.

* Public health (Suffolk County Council 'Knowledge & Intelligence') ) are using hospital admission data (in Suffolk & NE Essex) to suggest people with 'cfs/ME' (their term, incorrect) to link cfs/ME with 'related disorders' can be grouped under 'mus'. (plus leading to Functional Neurological Disorder FND/Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) programme which began in 2008, recently Social Prescribing etc). and I expect other Integrated Care Services (ICSs) are planning along same lines in their 5 year Forward Plans which go to NHS England in March 2023.

* I know this is not new, but it would appear, I misguidedly thought, the point of thee new NICE NG 206 on ME would drive the possibility of change in the Department of Health & Social Care Delivery Plan 'delivery of services' which I thought which S4ME is involved in?

RE 'I don't know what ICS is, so can't help there.'

* A Department of Health & Social Care Delivery Plan, must be delivered under the new April Health & Social Care Act https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2022/31/contents/enacted which swept away Clinical Commissioning Groups and brought in Integrated Care Services (ICS) across England ( 42 of them which are referenced elsewhere on this forum). What does the Health and Care Act 2022 replace? 'It will repeal Section 75 of the Health and Social Care Act 2012 and replace it with a new system – the Provider Selection Regime – which will give NHS bodies a wider range of options when commissioning services.'

* The 42 ICSs, under NHS England steer will follow the King's Fund line and take the line of least resistance on Long Term Conditions like ME, and maintain the Biopsychosocial BPS status quo approach.
    NICE is not mandated, only guidance after all.......

* I heard a rumour that PACE BPS people are being appointed to NHS England but don't know if that is true.

I am sorry if it is complicated and confusing, buy I predicted this scenario in 2017 writing it up in my responses and deliberations with NICE and the review.

It seems I am realising my very, very worst fears about any capacity for change.......

I sincerely hope I am wrong and that it's me who has the wrong end of the stick.

livinglighter, Esther12, Sean and 5 others like this.
  17. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ICS = Integrated Care Systems

“Integrated care systems (ICSs) are partnerships of organisations that come together to plan and deliver joined up health and care services, and to improve the lives of people who live and work in their area.

Following several years of locally led development, recommendations of NHS England and passage of the Health and Care Act (2022), 42 ICSs were established across England on a statutory basis on 1 July 2022.”

See https://www.england.nhs.uk/integratedcare/what-is-integrated-care/

We fit under “supporting those with long-term conditions or mental health issues” and I guess the worrying element is the ambiguity included under the word ‘or’.

18. Trish

19. Suffolkres

Struggling to find original . Will ask person who posted this to me. Meanwhile.... on mus etc https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/docs/defa...tion-statements/ps07_19.pdf?sfvrsn=563a6bab_2

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That reads exactly like the failed "liaison psychiatry" attempt but without naming it. And being even more ambiguous and generic about what they mean. I guess they're already at the stage where they keep trying the same thing but dropping the early terms and there you have it, a fresh coat of clear varnish.

Last I remember Sharpe published a paper that pretty much said no one wants this. I think he's still running his large hospital trial? Should be close to being over. Where they try to get people "psychosocially" better so they can be discharged quicker. So it looks like they're doing the same approach as usual: do it anyway without evidence and people won't be able to stop them after a while, even if they never produce any evidence for it.

It's really a parasitic model: 1) make up evidence, 2) jump straight into building service and small trials, 3) get people committed as they won't want to look foolish for having approved something useless. This is the biopsychosocial formula in a nutshell.

Sean, alktipping, bobbler and 3 others like this.