Lactate is essential to buffering the effects of a carbohydrate meal, study shows

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Sep 17, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Journal reference:
    Leija, R. G., et al. (2024). Enteric and systemic postprandial lactate shuttle phases and dietary carbohydrate carbon flow in humans. Nature Metabolism. doi.org/10.1038/s42255-024-00993-1.

Lactate is essential to buffering the effects of a carbohydrate meal, study shows (msn.com)

2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If that's real, it might explain something of the odd intolerance to simple carbs some pwME have.

I have to avoid them, because my muscles stop functioning properly after a carb-heavy meal. Whatever is turning them to lead is eventually cleared through urine, after which they work again.

3. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lots in there about the role of the liver, it is beyond my ability to understand!

4. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like this sort of thing, only if to remind people that sometimes you do need to step back and realise a lot you think you know as sure is actually only assumed, in order to end up reconfirming it after walking through it all again. It's a healthy process to do every so often.

this just would make me want to dive into the historical papers about where the idea of lactic acid came from and how good was the actual science for that theory. or are there quite a few assumptions just based on what a court trial calls 'circumstantial evidence' such as 'the timing fits with the symptoms'?

which is a better starting point than we have for a lot of the ME research where correlation-focused stuff doesn't even make sure things are in the right order for causality to be confirmed.

I've cheated and googled and seen the AI bot bit and found the following
    How does this phenomena fit with the above theory/can it be 'rethought' to fit this new context/work with this new idea?