Libin Summer Studentship offers young researcher chance to flourish

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Mij, May 8, 2024.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CreeAnn Phillips to lead recruitment for Long-COVID study

CreeAnn Phillips, who recently completed her third year in UCalgary’s Bachelor of Health Sciences Program with a major in biomedical sciences, is the 2024 recipient of the Libin Summer Studentship.

Thanks to this student award, Phillips will be leading a pilot project this summer under the supervision of Dr. Satish Raj, MD, and Dr. Derek Chew, MD. She’ll be investigating the impact of sodium on brain fog in patients with Long-COVID or postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), a life-altering autonomic disorder that mostly impacts young women.

“I am so excited about this opportunity,” says Phillips. “It is giving me a chance to really help people with this debilitating symptom. I am thrilled that the work I do may potentially change the lives of these patients.”

Brain fog is a cluster of cognitive symptoms that may include trouble focusing, loss of train of thought, trouble remembering familiar details, slowed reaction times and information processing and general fatigue.

It’s a common complaint of POTS and Long-COVID patients and can have a life-altering impact.

“The majority of patients with these conditions suffer from brain fog, and it can be quite debilitating,” says Phillips. “The condition varies from patient to patient, but some individuals suffer a lot. For example, they can’t go to work or school.”

According to Raj, the cause of brain fog in these patients isn’t well understood, which limits the ability to develop treatments. However, research has proven a high sodium diet can be an effective treatment for patients with POTS, who are unable to maintain a healthy blood pressure.

“This study will try to objectively assess cognitive impairment in patients with brain fog, look for brain abnormalities with functional MRI scans and other advanced MRI techniques, and test a blood volume expansion hypothesis using sodium to see if we can improve brain fog,” says Raj. “We hope this will inform us to better care for these patients who are suffering.”

Phillips will lead participant recruitment and enrollment and take part in the physiology and neurocognitive assessments in the study. She’s most excited about interacting with patients and being part of a clinical research project.

“I realized early that my pathway would lead to some kind of research,” says Phillips. “During my first year at the University of Calgary, I discovered that while I enjoy basic research, I love clinical research. My main goal is to make a big impact, and with clinical trials, researchers are testing potentially life-changing treatments. I feel lucky to have a small part in that.”

Phillips’s career aspirations involve earning a medical degree and pursuing a career as a clinical researcher in geriatric cardiology. Her interest in this demographic was sparked by an ongoing volunteer experience.

“I volunteer with seniors each week at the Foothills Medical Centre, and I have grown to love working with them,” says Phillips. “They are amazing people, and they are a vulnerable population for which I think I could really make a difference.”

Raj says Phillips is a welcome addition to the lab, adding summer studentships offer the opportunity to encourage and mentor emerging researchers.

“She has immersed herself in the lab and has emerged as a natural leader,” says Raj. “This summer studentship will provide her with the opportunity to flourish,” he says.

LINK

Solstice, MEMarge, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've sent a message asking if they could include post-infectious ME/CFS in their dialogue. I don't understand why Dr. Dr. Satish Raj, MD never mentions ME when he has seen pwME in his clinic. I follow him on X and the silence is odd.

Solstice, MEMarge and Ash like this.