Linguistic & interactional aspects that characterize consultations about medically unexplained symptoms: A systematic review, 2020, Stortenbeker et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022399919308165

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

There is so much awful about the conclusion of this I don't know where to start. I haven't read the full paper, and don't intend to, but the conclusion on its own is a huge red flag:

So that's all right then. If you don't know what's wrong with your patient, use brainwashing techniques to persuade them there's nothing physically wrong, and move on to CBT/IAPT/ACT or some other pick and mix mumbo jumbo. Job done.

Something when horribly wrong when the whole field of 'health psychology' and similar were invented.

3. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I certainly can't see an argument against this.

This paper makes it quite clear that the Project is to study what things (and how) can be made agreeable for the benefit of a predetermined dogma and those who have an interest in upholding it. There is conspicuously no consideration for what is scientifically true or what is medically effective for the individual.

Politics + Marketing = 100 % propaganda.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member