Long Covid-19 and an effective lightning process intervention: A case study, 2024, Arroll et al.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jul 2, 2024 at 5:33 AM.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long Covid-19 and an effective lightning process intervention: A case study
    Older A; Moir F; Jenkins E; Arroll B

Early treatment using mind-body interventions may be indicated for patients with Long Covid-19. It helps if the patient is open to it being a mind-body condition that can get better.

CASE PRESENTATION
    53-year-old European woman who was COVID-19 positive on a RAT test for 13 days; solo parent and breadwinner for family; physically very fit. The main symptoms of the patient: are brain fog, extreme fatigue, breathlessness and shaky when standing or moving, even minimally.

The main clinical findings: Normal physical examination.

The main diagnoses and interventions: The diagnosis was probable Long Covid-19 and the intervention was the three half-day Lightning Process sessions via Zoom.

The main outcomes: Many of her viral symptoms disappeared, as did the brain fog, and she was able to start riding her push bike, exercising and driving within a few days of therapy.

CONCLUSIONS
    For many patients, this case raises the issue that so-called Long Covid-19 is likely to be a mind-body condition. The process of how the symptoms of acute Covid transform to become Long COVID-19 is assessed using the Bayesian Predictive Coding Model (BPCM). In this case, the Lightning Process showed benefits from the first day of intervention. Early intervention, as in this case, may prevent deconditioning when symptoms persist and complicate the clinical picture.

PDF (Open Journal of Clinical and Medical Case Reports)

2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

John Mac, EzzieD, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The patient had covid infection in October and miraculously recovered in December thanks to LP, and clearly not due to the passing of time.

PS: anyone who says otherwise is a nasty anti-recovery activist.

lycaena, rvallee, ukxmrv and 16 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

:thumbup:

rvallee, MEMarge, Yann04 and 5 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024 at 7:20 AM
    Deanne NZ, Wyva, EndME and 1 other person like this.
  6. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haha. This is pure comedy. Most be some form of comedy journal.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024 at 7:39 AM
    lycaena, rvallee, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tragi- comedy as we know where this is trying to go

rvallee, EzzieD, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  8. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Association is not causation, but more so cooccurrence is not association.

Otherwise you just need to try lots of different coloured socks when buying lottery tickets to identify the lucky pair that will mean you win big. Unfortunately the human psyche is primed to look out for cooccurrence and the Lightning Process preselection is designed to pick out those most likely to believe that represents causation.

9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also I notice that as my illness improves, I also become more able to try new things. Like self-help courses or sports. So it's possible that people tend to be attracted to LP at a point in time where they're on a trajectory of improvement, perhaps in the process of recovery or just experiencing fluctuations in the illness. Even a very consistent association between LP and subsequent recovery could be meaningless.

10. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is probably also behind the recovered patient exercise gurus advocating their particular exercise programs that we regularly see in ME. As they recover they can do more exercise and they then see the trajectory of increasing activity as a consequence of their specific activity choice.

11. Hutan

I think in a case like this where the patient is the author of a case study of a commercial product, it is worthwhile considering what motivations the person might have in writing about their experience. For example, were they paid to produce the account, or do they benefit in some other way?

lycaena, rvallee, John Mac and 9 others like this.
  12. Eleanor

Eleanor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Part of the Lightning Process is that patients are told that in order to get better, they have to tell their 'recovery story'? i.e. they have to say they've recovered when they haven't recovered, otherwise they won't recover.

rvallee, John Mac, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

This is ridiculous, the patient didn't have long Covid, she had about 7 weeks prolonged recovery from acute covid then got better.

Many of the people I know who have had Covid have a similar period of a few weeks or months of symptoms then recover without needing mind body mumbo jumbo. Long Covid is usually not diagnosed until at least 12 weeks post infection, and even then most recover without treatment within a year or two.

If this is all they can find to advertise LP, it's looking pretty pathetic. How can clinicians like Bruce Arroll be so gullible.

lycaena, LJord, John Mac and 13 others like this.
  14. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'll paste what I previously said on the forum:
    I'll say that it's very hard to notice that you're doing an activity because you've already improved a small bit, and not the other way around, and I can see why someone would be absolutely sure it healed them if they stay well afterwards and can't test their theory.

15. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Completely. Same this is way more obvious, but when my health improved, I thought “wow, now that I don’t track my symptoms anymore I feel so much better”. The reason I lost motivation to track my symptoms, was… because they weren’t bothing me as much anymore.

rvallee, MEMarge, Keela Too and 6 others like this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Totally objective then :whistle:

MEMarge, Lou B Lou and Peter Trewhitt like this.