Long-COVID postural tachycardia syndrome: an American Autonomic Society statement, 2021, Raj et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract
    COVID-19 is a global pandemic that has had a devastating effect on the health and economy of much of human civilization. While the acute impacts of COVID-19 were the initial focus of concern, it is becoming clear that in the wake of COVID-19, many patients are developing chronic symptoms that have been called Long-COVID. Some of the symptoms and signs include those of postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS). Understanding and managing long-COVID POTS will require a significant infusion of health care resources and a significant additional research investment. In this document from the American Autonomic Society, we outline the scope of the problem, and the resources and research needed to properly address the impact of Long-COVID POTS.

Open access, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10286-021-00798-2

MEMarge, Forbin, Milo and 6 others like this.
  2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

should that not read as we outline the potential scope of the problem since the knowledge just isn't there yet how many quacks are still putting symptoms down as generalised anxiety disorder etc .

MEMarge likes this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you search for "bradycardia and Covid" or "Covid and low heart rate" you'll find many articles on that as well.
    One of the first "treatments" I was given after onset was Inderal (Propranolol), no doubt to address my perceived "anxiety." Inderal slows down your heart and this is supposed to prevent an anxiety/"racing heart" feedback loop. Performers use it to combat "stage fright."

Inderal dropped my heart rate into the 30's at night, but, when I stopped taking it, my heart rate was still in the low 50's, which would be considered bradycardia unless you were in pretty good aerobic condition. I assumed the low resting heart rate was an aftereffect of Inderal, but maybe it was some kind of post-infectious bradycardia, like what they seem to be seeing in some Covid cases.

All I know is that I was going from a somewhat subnormal heart rate when sitting to a racing heart within a minute or two of standing (or sooner), as though I had both bradycardia and tachycardia depending on my posture. I didn't have either prior to onset.

[ ETA: I replaced the original citation above because it had to do with "relative bradycardia," which is when the heart rate does not increase in response to fever as it normally would. ]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    alktipping, Wyva, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  4. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They put me on the same drug 20 years ago and my reaction to it was as you describe because, in hindsight, the issue was postural.

I think a lot of these long covid patients will find themselves being treated for "anxiety". The average doctor really doesn't know anything about this stuff and even when you bring them papers like this, some dismiss it as BS, or not wanting to face up to anxiety about standing, or something.

alktipping and Forbin like this.