Long COVID risk - a signal to address sex hormones and women's health, 2021, Stuart Stewart et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Wonko, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tonight I was made aware of this 'study'. It is being floated as an explanation for long covid, by at least one GP (my sisters).

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00228-3/fulltext

(no abstract available)

Sample (edited to introduce paragraphs/spacing);
    It appears, to me, to have null content, other than fairly explicit say that some symptoms of LC are similar to that of the menopause so therefore all women who attend a LC clinic should be evaluated for that, and given HRT regardless.

Which may, or may not, be a good idea, but it's hardly science, and tells us nothing (IMO).

It appears to be implying that LC is probably caused by the menopause.

Which seems an 'odd' thing for medical type people to think, let alone put in writing. Historically speaking of course.

I am interested in others opinions as to whether this paper says any more than my limited capability has discerned.

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the link given by @Wonko :

I really don't believe that the combination of symptoms given is unique to perimenopause and menopause. But doctors and researchers believe that women are slaves to their hormones, don'tchaknow, so something to do with periods must be the answer to all their problems.

Michelle, JemPD, Mithriel and 8 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't doubt hormones could play a role but it would be good to actually have some research.

Purely anecdotal and correlations.
    Those I know who had significant side effects to vaccination were all on HRT in my age group.

In my daughter's age group those on long term contraception ( 3 month type loading) had more varied and longer side effects.

Small number groups though

Generally there seems to be irregular or different menstrual bleeding to various degrees . Not everyone is reporting it.

There may be something in it.

4. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It appears to be saying that they think some longCOVID is misdiagnosed menopause.

It also mentions the ovaries express ACE2 so can be infected by COVID but there is a bias in the interpretation towards attributing symptoms to menopause.

They state ...
    Whereas I would interpret that as meaning the symptoms of ovary infection could exacerbate longCOVID with pseudomenopausal symptoms.

IMHO there does appear to be an element of longCOVID denial involved here.

Menopausal symptoms due to COVID infection of ovaries are logically longCOVID not natural menopause, surely?

Meaning in clinical terms any benefit from HRT could only be regarded as partial therapy for a bigger problem caused by longCOVID.

In a medico-legal context I think that could be an important distinction, since HRT for menopause is not the same liability as HRT for partial treatment of longCOVID as the latter implies a necessity for further treatment.

I agree with you @Wonko its not properly logical.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Mithriel, alktipping, Lilas and 5 others like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I considered trying HRT for menopausal symptoms (mostly exhaustion which was different from M.E type fatigue), but my GP told me that HRT would not improve my energy levels, it does reduce night sweats/hot flashes which helps improve sleep.

So HRT isn't going to help pwLC with fatigue/lack of energy/exhaustion which is the most common complaint.

DokaGirl, alktipping, Lilas and 4 others like this.
  6. Wonko

I've done a little reading and it seems oestrogen is seen as protective against some viruses, so it looks like they pretty much tried to see if it was also protective against covid/LC (unclear which or if both as the info may be uninterpretable, by me, in the more technical paper below).

The hypothesis seems to be based on the different purposes/priorities of the immune system between the sexes, and, to a lay reader, me, seems quite neatly woven together.

Which probably means it's wrong.

Guardian article which covers the basics, simply;

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jun/13/why-are-women-more-prone-to-long-covid

and a more scientific looking paper (really quite long and far more technical than I can handle, but the impression I get from it seems to provide 'some' justification for trying HRT on women with LC, that has nothing to do with their menopausal status);

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2021.649128/full

I still don't like the 'study' in the first post, even if it seems to have some very basic basis behind it, as it does seem to be a blatant attempt to deny the existence of LC. I am, obviously, not against people getting treatment for their symptoms, HRT or otherwise, I am against the probably inappropriate attribution of all of a patient's symptoms to something that should have been picked up, and treated, by a GP anyway.

The same GP who presumably referred to an LC center.

Seemingly as an attempt to say that all, or most, cases of LC weren't.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  7. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Making a judgement on a paper like this really needs close reading of the references - in this case I'd say especially ref [2] https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00163-0/fulltext

To my non expert eye both papers read as non problematic. The conclusion that a) women may carry a higher post pandemic burden than men, b) that women who are already affected by socio economic and health stress are likely to be most at risk of that burden, c) such women despite presenting as a large body of need when encountering the NHS deserve good care d) that statistical analysis suggests that i) peri-menopause and menopause are a higher 'risk' in the presenting population and ii) unwanted but treatable symptoms of peri-menopause and menopause can be confused with non treatable symptoms attributed to "long COVID" seems wholly reasonable. Who want's to carry on with avoidable discomfort when there's a potential available solution ?

I can't see that the authors are claiming that post COVID illness doesn't exist only that peri-menopause and menopause are identifiable, can be confused with post COVID symptoms and that women should be offered treatments to help the unwanted effects.

8. Wonko

Thank you for your point of view.

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Amw66 like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that hits the nail on the head. If you actually unpick the text it is a mess of non-sequitur arguments.