Long-term changes in wearable sensor data in people with and without Long Covid, 2024, Jennifer M. Radin et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Mij, Sep 13, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    To better understand the impact of Long COVID on an individual, we explored changes in daily wearable data (step count, resting heart rate (RHR), and sleep quantity) for up to one year in individuals relative to their pre-infection baseline among 279 people with and 274 without long COVID.

Participants with Long COVID, defined as symptoms lasting for 30 days or longer, following a SARS-CoV-2 infection had significantly different RHR and activity trajectories than those who did not report Long COVID and were also more likely to be women, younger, unvaccinated, and report more acute-phase (first 2 weeks) symptoms than those without Long COVID.

Demographic, vaccine, and acute-phase sensor data differences could be used for early identification of individuals most likely to develop Long COVID complications and track objective evidence of the therapeutic efficacy of any interventions.
    LINK

2. Mij

I don't think that post 30 days of having Covid would be a good indicator of having Long Covid. My RHR was up at least 4-6 months after contracting Covid. I didn't return to my baseline for at least 6-8 months.

hotblack, hinterland and bobbler like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

But it is good to see as many of us expected that the use of trackers is becoming increasingly common and this appears to be over a long timeframe

Sean, Dolphin, hotblack and 3 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Mij.

Change in resting heart rate
    Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 9.24.56 pm.png

Change in steps (red=LC; blue = recovered)
    Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 9.25.06 pm.png

Change in sleep
    Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 9.25.17 pm.png

It's a shame that the definition of Long Covid is so loose. I haven't yet read the whole study to see if there might be other problems. Maybe there are seasonal impacts on activity levels?

But, those are really interesting charts.
    That's an odd pattern of resting heart rate - higher than baseline in the Long Covid group for the first 100 days, lower around the 200 day mark, and then seeming to end up higher than baseline after a year. Whereas the healthy group seemed to have resting heart rates raised above baseline for about 250 days, but then they returned to baseline.

The step chart is particularly worth looking at. The daily number of steps aren't very different between the healthy people and the Long Covid people until about 9 months. The Long Covid people's daily counts slowly decline over the year. There's no evidence there for deconditioning being the reason why people with Long Covid have Long Covid. It supports what we have said about people trying their best to maintain their pre-illness activity levels after onset, but gradually being less and less able to do so.

Of course, there's the confounding that people with, for example, a loss of smell qualify as having Long Covid, but it's unlikely that their step count is affected. I'd love to see a study like this done in people with post-Covid ME/CFS. This sort of data could examine the idea of boom and bust activity patterns.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2024
    Sean, Dolphin, hotblack and 4 others like this.
  5. Eleanor

Eleanor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if that's people at the 6-month stage still trying to be 'normal', so they keep overexerting and crashing and lying flat out and switched off, whereas by a year they've worked out some kind of pacing that allows for being more active day to day (just not as active as when they were well).

Sean, hotblack, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I showed something a little similar, where my RHR rose then seemed to improve a (little) bit before rising again. Onset from Jan 2021, while still exercising, with disabling crash in Jun 2021. Although in my case perhaps the Nov 21 reading was spuriously high as we came into summer, and I was probably doing more blood tests etc so maybe overdoing it (to Eleanor's point above).

IMG_9982.PNG IMG_9983.PNG IMG_9985.PNG IMG_9986.PNG

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Medications can also change resting heart rate.

I was prescribed a daily inhaler for my mild asthma to try instead of relying on occasional use of an inhaler when symptoms worsened. After a week with my resting heart rate creeping up daily to reach 10 above my normal and still climbing, and no great difference in my breathing, I gave up on it and went back to just using an inhaler when needed. My resting heart rate was back to my normal within a day or two.

8. Hutan

Basically no difference in the time taken to return to baseline number of steps after Covid-19 infection (Edit - !! - i.e. absolutely no evidence for those diagrams of the Vicious Cycle, or reduced effort preferences.)

See Table 1
    From Table 1:
    Of the 279 people with Long Covid, only 33 (11.8%) reported having an ME/CFS diagnosis. 5 (1.8%) of the non-Long Covid people also reported having an ME/CFS diagnosis!
    19% of LC had a diagnosis of PEM; 1.8% of non-LC
    2.9% of LC had a diagnosis of myocarditis/pericarditis; 1.1% of non-LC
    7.2% of LC had a diagnosis of POTS; 2.9% of non-LC

So, the split of LC versus non-LC doesn't look entirely clean.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2024
    hotblack, SNT Gatchaman, Mij and 3 others like this.
  9. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s interesting that a similar timeframe around the 200 day 9-10month mark seems to be coming up for all of these including steps.

… thinking of Paul Garners experience for example

Mij likes this.
  10. bobbler

Or not having much choice - could there be a connection for some in having to push through due to their job vs those who had work from home type things at the time

I think it’s interesting that as makes sense to me the HR is showing difference before the number of steps only starts to be different between the two groups at 9months/200days.

we are all taught to push through being ill, although I’ve noticed more and more how some norms take themselves to bed or sit twiddling their thumbs at work when they have a cold.

hence why the one thing I’m sure of is length of timeframe and there needing to be more measures than just plain steps (gait would be interesting however) as it relates to commitments and how far the loo is from your bed, kitchen, desk vs how much you need the loo as much as anything.

Putting aside those who go to the gym for most norms how big your office and how far meetings are held that you have to walk to, if you walk your kid to school etc are going to be what makes up much of their steps for all the good intentions. And we don’t really get to live in a different world when we get ill so there is a huge floor effect issue with steps.

but any reduction in it represents probably quite huge changes underneath. Like having to reduce hours at work or work from home or stop being able to walk your child to school are more significant vs the steps they might represent and take time to put in place.

Sean, Mij, Eleanor and 1 other person like this.
  11. Eleanor

Eleanor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

plus of course 'people with LC who use fitness trackers and respond to healthcare surveys' is only a subset of people with LC.

hotblack, bobbler and Hutan like this.
  12. Hutan

Ref 6:
    Bramante, C. T. et al. Outpatient treatment of COVID-19 and incidence of post-COVID-19 condition over 10 months (COVID-OUT): a multicentre, randomised, quadruple-blind, parallel-group, phase 3 trial. Lancet Infect. Dis. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(23) 00299-2.
    The forum thread on that study is here.

That is way too definitive a statement about metformin being 'most effective in preventing Long Covid', given it is based on one trial with a very selective group of participants (people with high BMIs). But, I was surprised when reading the Bramante thread just now to find that metformin did appear to be useful in preventing a diagnosis of Long Covid in that study.

shak8 and bobbler like this.
  13. bobbler

Says a lot about what I’ve seen the ‘system’ looks like.

intriguing because there’s as much chance they all had the same thing but different areas where clinics cared about different things. Where are the ones who ended up with an FND or hyperventilation or whatever some other places were doing diagnoses :nailbiting:

Eleanor and Hutan like this.
  14. Mij

That 9 months timeframe is interesting. I've read several accounts on X from pwLC saying they improved completely after 9 months. I felt completely recovered 9 months after my sudden viral M.E onset in 1992. The endocrinologist who did the thyroid scan told me I would most likely recover in 9 months because her sister in law recovered from a virus similar to mine after 9 months.

Of course I didn't recover. I had a relapse 4 weeks after returning to work.

SNT Gatchaman, Hutan, Trish and 2 others like this.