Long-term outcomes of functional neurological disorder in children, 2019, Stone, Forsyth et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://adc.bmj.com/content/early/2019/07/20/archdischild-2018-316519
    Sci hub, not available

MEMarge, Lidia and James Morris-Lent like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yikes. Considering the stuff that is in my chart I would not trust anything that is found in any medical charts on topics like this. This is an extremely poor method of assessing anything since it is unquantifiable and every medical professional has their own interpretation and opinions.

The conclusion of remission rates is purely speculative and most likely misleading considering how useless medicine is with those problems and how it's usually not worth continuing raising those issues, so naturally they "disappear". This is the same thinking behind "a patient who doesn't come back to the same physician is probably because the problem was resolved", it's massively flawed.

Squeezy, duncan, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmmm. I know of one young woman who had horrendous experience from age 9 with ME.
    Having neurological symptoms she has seen neurologists, but made no progress, other than to be traumatised.

She has recently discovered she is double homogenous for MTHFR , amongst others and is making improvements outwith NHS.

How many others could there be ?

Squeezy, MEMarge, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If medical records were accurate there might be some point in reading them. My own have so many mistakes or obfuscations or outright lies that they won't tell you anything much of any use at all under any circumstances. I doubt I'm unique in that.

I did read a post on a forum a few years ago where the poster claimed their medical records said they only had one arm, when they quite clearly and obviously had two. This person also claimed their doctor said the error couldn't be deleted. I've often wondered under what circumstances mistakes can be rectified, if ever.

Squeezy, MEMarge, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  5. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd like to see the full article when it appears on sci-hub. It's asking a basic question that it would be useful to have a reliable answer to. I wouldn't totally dismiss it getting to see the full writeup. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not terribly helpful, though.

ladycatlover likes this.
  6. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anything that Jon Stone has anything to do with is likely to be a bit, urm, un-useful. He has a one track mind. FND. FND. FND.

Squeezy, Andy, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have never been able to take him and Sharpe seriously since encountering the story from about 2002 of their writing to an American journal to support their American colleagues diagnosis of hysteria, under one of its many names, in the case of a patient who, upon autopsy, was found to have prion disease. I think the argument was that she may have had prion disease, but there was also a functional overlay which confounded the diagnosis.

Squeezy, Cheshire, Andy and 10 others like this.
  8. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd love to know what happened to the other 10 who didn't make it to their 16th birthday. Probably died scared and confused because someone gave them a diagnosis of 'functional neurological disorder' when symptoms first came on.

Squeezy, Andy and duncan like this.
  9. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I took that to mean they just weren't 16 yet.

Sid, Trish and duncan like this.