Low dose IL2 in autoimmune and rheumatic diseases, 2023, Graßhoff et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by wastwater, Oct 11, 2023.

1. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2021.648408/full
    Low-Dose IL-2 Therapy in Autoimmune and Rheumatic Diseases

[​IMG]Hanna Graßhoff [​IMG]Sara Comdühr [​IMG]Luisa R. Monne [​IMG]Antje Müller [​IMG]Peter Lamprecht[​IMG]Gabriela Riemekasten [​IMG]Jens Y. Humrich*

• Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, University Hospital Schleswig-Holstein Lübeck, Lübeck, Germany
    Regulatory T cells (Treg) are crucial for the maintenance of peripheral tolerance and for the control of ongoing inflammation and autoimmunity. The cytokine interleukin-2 (IL-2) is essentially required for the growth and survival of Treg in the peripheral lymphatic tissues and thus plays a vital role in the biology of Treg. Most autoimmune and rheumatic diseases exhibit disturbances in Treg biology either at a numerical or functional level resulting in an imbalance between protective and pathogenic immune cells.

In addition, in some autoimmune diseases, a relative deficiency of IL-2 develops during disease pathogenesis leading to a disturbance of Treg homeostasis, which further amplifies the vicious cycle of tolerance breach and chronic inflammation. Low-dose IL-2 therapy aims either to compensate for this IL-2 deficiency to restore a physiological state or to strengthen the Treg population in order to be more effective in counter-regulating inflammation while avoiding global immunosuppression.

Here we highlight key findings and summarize recent advances in the clinical translation of low-dose IL-2 therapy for the treatment of autoimmune and rheumatic diseases

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2023
    Hutan likes this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks naive to me. I have not looked beyond the abstract though.
    I would like to see a much better rationale for giving IL-2 if I was on an ethics committee.

alktipping, FMMM1 and ukxmrv like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the very lengthy account of pilot trials and a few formal trials over 15 years shows that it probably doesn't work or is toxic. If it had worked it would have been licensed ten years ago.