Lower socioeconomic status is associated with an increased prevalence of comorbid anxiety & depression among patients with [IBS], 2019, Staller et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not a recommendation. BPS researchers reveal that sick people in less secure financial situations have a worse mental state...
    Paywall, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00365521.2019.1665095
    Not currently available via Sci hub.

shak8, Gecko, Lisa108 and 11 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That is true for the general population, not just sick people.

So psychs will also be advocating for improved financial support for those lower down the socioeconomic scale?

Because that is a clear implication of the finding.

shak8, Hutan, Lisa108 and 17 others like this.
  3. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Top quality research findings here. Looking forward to the followup trial that encourages people in precarious financial situations to stand on paper circles shouting "stop" until they've trained themselves to stop doing poverty.

shak8, JemPD, Lisa108 and 15 others like this.
  4. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it'll be psychs advocating for more funding for themselves so they can provide support for those lower down the socioeconomic scale.

Yessica, Sean, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Once more pointing to their own mistakes, large-scale misdiagnosis of anxiety and depression in patients with chronic health problems, as evidence that being wrong proves them right.

Until depression and anxiety, common symptoms with vague definitions, can be tested or measured in a reliable, objective way any association to those is meaningless. This is the exact same logic used to promote the psychosomatic model of peptic ulcers. Zero lessons learned.

Plus, as pointed above, poverty is well-known to be stressful and leading to a low quality of life, something that can be easily superficially confused with depression.

In the end clinical psychology is only revealing itself to be completely useless by making such foolish claims.

shak8, JemPD, Arnie Pye and 7 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Mmm what’s a better idea actually helping poorer people have a better housing situation or paying middle class people to give them CBT sessions to tell them to pull their socks up and sort their lives out?

shak8, Cheshire, JemPD and 10 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, this reminds me of the worst aspects of some versions of religion. Don't try to ensure the poor and downtrodden have decent housing and food. Teach them about being thankful for what they have and accepting their place in the world (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy), teach them about the virtues of hard work (GET), give them hymns to sing (positive thinking mantras, CBT), and priests to trust and obey, and to admonish them when they fail (therapists). Oh, and how could I forget - a fearless leader, or three, who preaches to crowds of followers and battles valiantly against the forces of evil, and receives awards for valour (Weasely, Sharpe and Fink).

Where's that vomit emoji?

shak8, Yessica, Cheshire and 14 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prosperity gospel. Healthy and wealthy people are good people and deserving. Everyone else probably did something wrong and it's their fault they are sick and/or poor. The evidence is that healthy and wealthy people know they earned what they got and there is no other explanation for them being successful than their merit, intelligence and hard work. It's derived from protestant work ethics, mostly a way to rationalize the harshness of life in lower economic status.

I know this touching on religion but it's mostly a cultural thing aimed specifically at preserving a social order in which those who possess deserve what they have and should keep it, especially away from lesser people who very likely deserve their fate. It's 9:0.5:0.5 politics:culture:religion so I hope it's OK because it's a well-studied phenomenon and very relevant to the "work will set you free" mentality that is responsible for this disaster.

Definitely missing.

ukxmrv, shak8, Mithriel and 7 others like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In much the same way that mindfulness in workplace as currently manifest will demand better working conditions, contract hours, paid overtime, on site food........

That's not the purpose of it.

ETA added in workplace

Sean, rvallee and rainy like this.
  10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember when people used to get all that, at least in the UK, and it wasn't that many years before that where housing was provided with some jobs as well.

There was a time when, in some respects, the basic needs of a human that worked for you were understood.

Then the last 30 years happened.

I wonder what has happened in the last 30 years that may have contributed to this now we are existing in.

shak8 and Amw66 like this.
  11. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope they find out what bears do in the woods for their next research project

ukxmrv, TiredSam, rvallee and 6 others like this.