Open MA, USA: ME/CFS and post-COVID ME/CFS patients needed for an imaging and blood draw study

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Dolphin, Jun 22, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://rally.massgeneralbrigham.org/study/mocci

ME/CFS and post-COVID ME/CFS patients needed for an imaging and blood draw study
    We are seeking individuals with ME/CFS and post-COVID ME/CFS to participate in an imaging and blood draw study investigating underlying causes of cognitive control impairment in these populations.

2 visits
    ESTIMATED TIME COMMITMENT
    Any Gender, 18-70 years
    MAY BE ELIGIBLE
    Payment up to $225
    MAY BE OFFERED
    Survey, Blood draw, Office visit, MRI scan
    MAY BE REQUIRED

I Am Interested
    Enrollment for this study is expected to close on Thursday, September 4, 2025
    Overview

What we are studying

This study investigates the underlying mechanisms of cognitive difficulties (e.g. brain fog) observed in patients with ME/CFS and PASC (Long COVID).

Why it is important

There is no known effective treatment for cognitive impairment in PASC or ME/CFS. Understanding the neural mechanisms of this symptom can help us improve treatments in the future.

What we hope to accomplish

We hope to identify the neural predictors of cognitive difficulties experienced by patients with PASC and ME/CFS.

Who can participate

We are looking for participants who are 18-70 years old and had a diagnosis of ME/CFS, PASC, and healthy controls, with no current alcohol or substance abuse disorder.

Healthy Volunteers
    Healthy volunteers are eligible for this study

Who cannot participate

Individuals with metallic implants, pacemakers, and those with history of seizures are not eligible for this study. Pregnant individuals are also not eligible to participate.

ME/CFS or PASC patients with history of neurological conditions, ADHD, bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia are not eligible to participate. Additionally, PASC patients with severe heart or lung damage during the acute phase of COVID-19 are also ineligible for this study.

Healthy controls with history of neurological disorders, psychiatric conditions within the last 5 years, or current use of psychiatric medications are ineligible to participate.

What you may be asked to do

The study involves 2 visits (lasting 2.5 hours each) to the Charlestown Navy Yard Campus of Massachusetts General Hospital. The participants would undergo attention and memory tests, an EEG, an MRI scan, and a blood draw. Healthy controls will also undergo a psychiatric exam.

Project activities may include:

• Survey
    • Blood draw
    • Office visit
    • MRI scan

Estimated Time Commitment
    2 visits

What You May Get

Participants would receive up to $225, and parking voucher will also be provided.

Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
    149 13th St Charlestown, MA 02129

Map it!

Travel
    • Parking reimbursed

Travel and Parking Details

Parking available, parking reimbursed

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    Hutan, Turtle, LJord and 3 others like this.