McGill OSS Article: Andrew Huberman Has Supplements on the Brain

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Apr 8, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, NelliePledge, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DokaGirl, Peter Trewhitt and Mij like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Vitamin E supplements are not all equal. According to wikipedia "Vitamin E is a group of eight fat soluble compounds that include four tocopherols and four tocotrienols." Many vitamin E supplements just contain alpha-tocopherol. Some people swear by supplements that contain just the tocotrienols, some people take all eight compounds. Some take only alpha and beta-tocopherol. I haven't done any research into all the various forms of vitamin E and I don't take it. But I doubt that any research will be done into it to find out what benefits the various forms gives to those with low (but not deficient) levels, given that vitamins can't be patented.

Beta-carotene is a provitamin not a vitamin. It has to be converted into vitamin A before it can do it's job as a vitamin. Some people can't do the conversion very well, and they can go orange if they take beta-carotene, particularly on the soles of the feet and the palms of the hands. I don't take vitamin A or beta-carotene either.

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The palms of my hands had an orange hue for weeks when I was into heavy juicing in the 90's. I don't think I was able to convert and it overactivated my thyroid b/c my hair started shedding.

alktipping, MeSci, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I bought a juicer in the 90's. I used it a bit, but was too tired to keep at it.

Note, veggie juice was supposed to cure me.

:laugh: :banghead: :facepalm:

shak8, JemPD, Chezboo and 8 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Good article about supplements and the hype machinery that promotes them.

It makes the point about plant supplements that they can vary a lot in active ingredients from season to season and plant to plant. Even remedies that have been used for thousands of years can be problematic, because they have not been explicitly tested for long term effects. Some can cause liver damage.

shak8, Arnie Pye, DokaGirl and 6 others like this.
  7. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
    shak8, Deanne NZ and Peter Trewhitt like this.