MET Levels in Occupational Therapy: Enhancing Treatment Efficacy and Patient Outcomes

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Dolphin, Oct 14, 2024 at 1:00 PM.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NeuroLaunch Article MET Levels in Occupational Therapy: Enhancing Treatment Efficacy and Patient Outcomes Occupational Therapy Techniques

NeuroLaunch editorial team

October 1, 2024

Revolutionizing patient care, Metabolic Equivalent of Task (MET) levels have emerged as a powerful tool in the occupational therapist’s arsenal, enabling more precise treatment planning and improved outcomes. Gone are the days when therapists relied solely on subjective assessments and gut feelings to guide their interventions. Now, armed with the science of METs, occupational therapists can craft tailored treatment plans that push patients to their optimal level of exertion without risking overexertion or underutilization of their capabilities.

But what exactly are MET levels, and why have they become such a game-changer in the world of occupational therapy? Let’s dive into this fascinating topic and explore how these seemingly simple numbers are transforming the way therapists approach patient care.

Continues at:
    https://neurolaunch.com/met-levels-occupational-therapy/?utm_content=cmp-true

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like wishful thinking until there is some evidence.

3. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can’t wait for someone to write a plan for me deciding that on a day where I need company replacing watching tv on quiet with getting a task like brushing my teeth then meditating for twenty minutes is ‘fine for me’ when that situation persists for years on end.

if you haven’t been there you can’t at all know what it takes to get through bad day after bad day and doing it on paper when the worst you’ve had is flu you know will lift in a week isn’t that experience. And yet they don’t want to treat those who’ve been there as if they have expertise in really how to endure these things but act like we’ve failed.

all these fake philosophers who think they can do disability better by cheating on and reframing even their imagination of it ‘to make things fit’

someone sorting some real virtual reality games that show how the issue is you can’t magic stuff and you can only endure so much etc (you know real mental health where you can’t be awful to human being endlessly then pretend having broken them is their fault for taking it wrong or not coping right but yours - which I’m sure is what bps invented to cover up at least partly, the personal responsibility of those who injure others) and people can be in impossible situations where no choice leads to a win and not a lose so you might as well focus on it having close to what your toned down level of ‘joy’ might entail.

they’ve so much to learn it frustrates me

Missense, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Starting with the fact that practically nobody with a chronic illness has a baseline capacity resembling a healthy person's, so the idea's nonsense from the off.

No matter how well they manage their symptoms, the answer to every question is "It depends on...".

Missense, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  5. dratalanta

dratalanta Established Member (Voting Rights)

Can’t we just reply to this sort of nonsense with ‘No thank you’. I’m fed up with wasting my scarce “METs” on humouring and nursing the egos of professionals who are paid to know better than this.

Kitty, Missense, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  6. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And telling people who bigoted us that sop of we know they aren’t bad people and of course x,y.z even though they just did something saw the harm on the other person then chose to dismiss it so they could choose to do the same thing again and are now putting their hands out using social pressure to claim they are entitled to coercing into saying sorry of course it doesn’t matter what’s an entire life being made hell and toileted unnecessarily of course you didn’t mean it and me existing to make you feel guilty by not faking in ok is me being the bad person

that’s bps ideology : victims stop making us feel bad by not hiding your bruises and taking responsibility for what you did to deserve those injuries . Don’t you know how hard it is being a well grabby-taker

our job is to make them feel better and reframing the world is upside down and they didn’t hurt us so it all goes away and we can be unsafe to them doing it again - even though they are the ones without the limited energy, they are just lazy

Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jenny Spotila talks about METS in her blog Occupy ME in her series of her experiences of the 2 day CPET and trying to pace in the light of the results.

See https://occupyme.net/exercise-testing-and-results/
    METS comes up in the last post of the series:Meeting METS

Kitty, Sean, Trish and 2 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  10. Eleanor

Eleanor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dolphin, bobbler and Peter Trewhitt like this.