Metabolic analysis of amino acids and vitamin B6 pathways in lymphoma survivors with cancer related chronic fatigue: Fluge et al Jan 2020

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0227384

2. Rain

Rain Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know dr Phair has some theories on Trypyophan being a contributor to the IDO metabolic trap. But what are they referring to here?

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

From the Discussion:
    The authors are suggesting fatigue after cancer treatment is different to CFS/ME:
    Re the Trp levels:
    So lymphoma survivors with fatigue and people with CFS/ME had similar levels of Trp (averages 73.4 and 73.4). And lymphoma survivors without fatigue and healthy controls from the CFS/ME study both had higher levels (77.6 and 77.8).

But here's the graph of Trp levels from this study of cancer survivors (Trp is the graph on the left):
    Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 5.27.28 PM.png

Look at the huge amount of overlap (and note the truncated scale). If there's really a difference in average Trp levels between cancer survivors with and without fatigue, it's certainly not a consistent difference at the patient level.