Metabolomics: Impact of comorbidities and inflammation on sickness behaviors for individuals with chronic wounds, 2020, Kim et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/wound.2020.1215
    Not available via Sci hub at time of posting

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

From the first paragraph:
    I have only read the abstract - my question may be answered in the paper.

How can a symptom delay wound healing? A symptom is a subjectively experienced outcome of a biological process reported by the patient. How can that then feedback into the biological process of wound healing.

Do they mean there is some underlying biological process that both delays wound healing and causes depression and fatigue, or are they hinting at some sort of psychotherapeutic treatment that will act on the wound as well as the psyche?

chrisb, Mithriel, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Must be all that black bile, or something.

chrisb and Mithriel like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read the paper. But perhaps fatigue limits the regularity of bathing, or the resulting reduction in exercise reduces blood flow that might remove waste products from the site and bring nutrients for wound healing. Fatigue might reduce the amount of time spent outside in the sun, so reducing vitamin D levels, or it might increase the likelihood that someone isn't eating well, because they can't get to the shops often for fresh vegetables. Depression might do a lot of those things too.

sebaaa, alktipping, Trish and 2 others like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I doubt there have been proper studies done on this to prove the direction of causality. It is more like the MUS dogma where conversion of emotional problems gives the "benefit" of being sick.

Constant pain and the distress of an unhealed wound will be very fatiguing and the immune system must be switched on to try to prevent infection. That is the common sense direction of cause and what is seen in patients with broken limbs where depression and distress lift as healing progresses.

Survival rates in the past would have been better for anyone with an open wound staying hidden so it makes perfect sense for evolution to have gone in this direction.

Therefore any evidence that it is the mental state which determines the rate of healing must be strong and powerful to convince and should be stated clearly and prominently in any paper.

Trish likes this.