Michael Maes M.D., Ph.D. Professor, researcher

Discussion in 'Other research methodology topics' started by Sly Saint, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FMMM1 likes this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Why, which of his papers do you have concerns about and for what reason?

FMMM1 and alktipping like this.
  3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

His work on ME/CFS has come up on the forum a few times. I have stated here before that I get bad vibes from his work, but I wasn't aware that he was publishing dozens of papers a month, which, as anyone in academia will tell you, is ludicrous.

RedFox, MEMarge, Sly Saint and 4 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is always difficult to judge how trustworthy individual papers are in terms of data. Where I would criticise Maes is in the putting out of data in support for hypotheses that look pretty threadbare. So when it is claimed that free radical damage is at the heart of things I would be sceptical.

Ash, MEMarge, CRG and 5 others like this.
  5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't found the free radical paper.
    At times it seems to me that "free radical damage" seems to be proposed as the cause of a range of poorly understood diseases --. There's a white muscle myopathy liked to selenium deficiency (in China) [selenium mops up free radicals - GPX] but I doubt free radical damage would have been missed in ME/CFS.

alktipping likes this.
  6. Sly Saint

To be honest I'd not really 'noticed' him until I was doing some searching on 'flu-like' symptoms
    see https://www.s4me.info/threads/sore-throats-swollen-glands.9370/page-3#post-490064

this paper from 2009 came up
    "Functional" or "psychosomatic" symptoms, e.g. a flu-like malaise, aches and pain and fatigue, are major features of major and in particular of melancholic depression - Michael Maes
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20035251/

So I had a quick look at a couple of his other papers and he cites his own papers a lot and looking at his researchgate catalogue as @InitialConditions says it is staggering how many papers there are.

and then I saw (using 'maes' tag) that there were a number of papers here.

I just thought others here might have some insights.

RedFox, Ash, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Then there is this paper
    An intriguing and hitherto unexplained co-occurrence: Depression and chronic fatigue syndrome are manifestations of shared inflammatory, oxidative and nitrosative (IO&NS) pathways

An intriguing and hitherto unexplained co-occurrence: Depression and chronic fatigue syndrome are manifestations of shared inflammatory, oxidative and nitrosative (IO&NS) pathways - PubMed (nih.gov)

see also
    In severe first episode major depressive disorder, psychosomatic, chronic fatigue syndrome, and fibromyalgia symptoms are driven by immune activation | Science for ME (s4me.info)

Ash and Trish like this.