MicroRNAs Contribute to Host Response to Coxiella burnetii, 2023, Sachan et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Hutan, Jul 16, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Abstract
    MicroRNAs (miRNAs), a class of small noncoding RNAs, are critical to gene regulation in eukaryotes. They are involved in modulating a variety of physiological processes, including the host response to intracellular infections. Little is known about miRNA functions during infection by Coxiella burnetii, the causative agent of human Q fever. This bacterial pathogen establishes a large replicative vacuole within macrophages by manipulating host processes such as apoptosis and autophagy.

We investigated miRNA expression in C. burnetii-infected macrophages and identified several miRNAs that were down- or upregulated during infection.

We further explored the functions of miR-143-3p, an miRNA whose expression is downregulated in macrophages infected with C. burnetii, and show that increasing the abundance of this miRNA in human cells results in increased apoptosis and reduced autophagy-conditions that are unfavorable to C. burnetii intracellular growth. In sum, this study demonstrates that C. burnetii infection elicits a robust miRNA-based host response, and because miR-143-3p promotes apoptosis and inhibits autophagy, downregulation of miR-143-3p expression during C. burnetii infection likely benefits the pathogen.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36537791/

Also, see the PhD thesis:
    https://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6910&context=open_access_etds

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
    Sean and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  2. Hutan

I was looking for something else and noticed that the miRNA found to be decreased during Coxiella burnetii infection was mir-143-3p. We've seen this miRNA before, in the 2014 Brenu paper on miRNA in ME/CFS. That paper identified three mRNA increased in ME/CFS, one of which was mir-143-3p.
    High-Throughput Sequencing of Plasma MicroRNA in CFS/ME, 2014, Brenu, Staines, Marshall-Gradisnik et al

C. burnetii is of course the cause of Q-fever, and that can cause Q-fever fatigue syndrome, which is probably a type of ME/CFS.

Sean and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  3. Hutan

Interesting that the paper also mentions mir-142 - that was also found to be increased in ME/CFS by the Brenu paper:
    In both cases, up-regulation of the two types of microRNA (as found in that 2014 ME/CFS study) might provide protection against a pathogen.

It would be great to have macrophages of people with Q-fever fatigue syndrome (and ME/CFS in general) tested for mir-142 levels. I'm not sure what hypothesis a confirmation of increased levels of mir-142 would lead to (a stale-mate with a latent infection? a response to an infection that hasn't turned off?), but knowing if there is a real difference would be a start.

Sean likes this.