Movement Disorders in Brain Sagging Syndrome Due To Spontaneous Intracranial Hypotension: A Review, 2024, Abhishek Lenka et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Sep 11, 2024.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Background: Spontaneous intracranial hypotension (SIH), a treatable condition that stems from spinal leakage of cerebrospinal fluid, usually presents with orthostatic headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and tinnitus. A subset of patients, especially those with sagging of brain structures (“brain sagging syndrome”), develop several movement abnormalities. As SIH is treatable with epidural blood patch (EBP), movement disorders neurologists should be familiar with this syndrome.

Method: The authors performed a literature search in PubMed in July 2024 using the Boolean phrase- ((“Brain sagging”)OR(“Intracranial hypotension”))AND((((((((((“Movement disorders”)OR(“Involuntary movements”))OR(“Tremor”))OR(“Dystonia”))OR(“Chorea”))OR(“Ballismus”))OR(“Myorhythmia”))OR (“Tic”))OR(“Ataxia”))OR(“Parkinsonism”)).

Result: We tabulated 21 case reports/series that highlighted the presence of movement disorders. The most reported phenomenology is gait unsteadiness. While it usually emerges in the background of the classic SIH symptoms, rarely, patients may present with isolated gait dysfunction. Tremor is the second most reported phenomenology with postural and kinetic tremor being the common subtypes. Holmes tremor has also been reported in SIH. Other reported phenomenologies are parkinsonism, chorea, and dystonia. One study reported a unique phenomenology i.e. compulsive repetitive flexion and breath holding in 35.3% of the patients. In majority of the patients, EBP resulted in substantial clinical and radiological improvement.

Discussion: Brain sagging syndrome due to SIH may present with a wide range of movement disorders. Mechanical distortion of the posterior fossa and subcortical structures result in the emergence of such movement abnormality. SIH adds to the list of conditions that result in “treatable movement disorders.” Therefore, movement disorders neurologists should be versed with the diagnosis and clinical features of this condition.

LINK

SNT Gatchaman, Kitty and Deanne NZ like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why would intracranial hypotension lead to brain sagging? Unless there are actually bubbles of nitrogen collecting above the brain I cannot see any reason why it should sag. If anything it should be sucked upwards I think.

I also think it pretty unlikely that brain sagging should give rise to movement disorders, other than perhaps stiff spastic gait.

alktipping, shak8 and Kitty like this.