Multiple Epstein-Barr virus-associated Gastric Cancers Arising in a Patient with Autoimmune Gastritis, 2022, Yugo Suzuki

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Oct 8, 2022.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Epstein-Barr virus-associated gastric cancer (EBVaGC) has been reported to be associated with chronic inflammation of the gastric epithelium caused by Helicobacter pylori infection. Autoimmune gastritis (AIG) is also believed to increase the risk of carcinogenesis. We herein report a case of multiple EBVaGCs that arose in a patient with AIG, highlighting the potential for multiplicity of this entity.

In this case, a total of four metachronous EBVaGCs were found after initial Endoscopic submucosal dissection for EBVaGC, all of which were treated endoscopically. This case demonstrates that patients with AIG should be monitored closely for development of EBVaGC.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/internalmedicine/advpub/0/advpub_0673-22/_article

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My M.E onset was possibly EBV and H. Pylori at the same time. I was treated for active H. Pylori 5 years later by a virologist and I recall him asking me if I had EBV recently.

3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Until recently, it's been my impression the medical view of EBV is it's rather benign, of little importance. A brief virus that one readily recovers from.

With the recent studies linking EBV to MS, it appears that despite the dismissal of EBV as inconsequential, more investigation of this virus is seriously warranted.

4. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got the impression that in the UK it was always minimised compared to US (just based on media, films etc)

RedFox, Peter Trewhitt and DokaGirl like this.
  5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, in Canada it's always been minimized. Maybe some have payed attention to the EBV MS link re the studies that came out earlier this year.

But, just as it takes 30 years to change the general fleet of vehicles in a population, it will likely take a long time for medicine to take EBV seriously.

(There have likely been studies on the length of paradigm shifts in medicine.)

RedFox, Mij, merylg and 2 others like this.