MUS on BBC Devon

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Cheshire, Mar 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

It starts at 1h05.
    The first patient talking was in fact suffering from depression, and got better with antidepressants and CBT. I think this is the very type of cases that makes doctors think MUS is a thing, when it's all about undiagnosed textbook depression.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05xx29z

Allele, ladycatlover, Mij and 10 others like this.
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

OMG, the explainations given by the psychiatrist at around 1h20 are just so unbelievably bad.
    Always the weird comparisons with the way our brain tricks us sometimes for a few seconds/minutes as an explaination for long life symptoms.
    The same dualistic shit about the mind and body being linked presented as non dualistic.
    The intellectual level of this whole system is so low, I can't believe it.
    :banghead:
    I'm giving up...

ladycatlover, Mij, Lidia and 11 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The idea that medically unexplained symptoms represent a specific clinical entity is idiotic to begin with.

I'm happy that first patient got better but I can't avoid thinking that she is jumping to all sorts of conclusions based on her response to antidepressants. Responding to a medication doesn't tell you why or how it has helped, just that it has helped. This is also relevant for ME/CFS and anecdotes about antibiotics/antivirals/various other medications.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Haven’t listened to this but what is it with Devon and MUS - after all it was the venue for muppetgate.

Also worrying if this indicates MUS are starting to go out on a media offensive

- offensive is a highly appropriate term

ladycatlover, Allele, JemPD and 8 others like this.
  5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think that is the real issue - the theories don't follow any reasonable logic.

I've always liked the idea that a doctor could classify something under a "I haven't a clue" label - it would at least be honest. But MUS they are claiming understanding of something that is 'unexplained' simply because they have no clue. It doesn't make any sense.

6. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed!

We need a new WHO classification so docs can feel at ease admitting that they and their profession haven't a clue, and then stop blaming patients for their failing. Actually it isn't a failing not to know, just shows a heck of a lot more science and research needs to be done to try and find the answers.

I was lucky to have two doctors who way back diagnosed ME and MCS, gut infection etc but who would also admit when they didn't know something and I found that so reassuring, that they had the integrity and confidence to admit this without throwing it back at me.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Mij and 4 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I' not much good at twitter , but it might be something coyne could highlight in his own inimitable way?

MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.