'My Doctor Gaslighted Me Into Believing I Was Fine. In Reality, I Had A Rare Autoimmune Disorder'

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Mij, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

After a deep dive on Google, she finally had an answer: myasthenia gravis, a rare autoimmune disorder in which antibodies attack the communication channels between nerves and muscle, leading to profound weakness that can also affect the eye muscles. Eventually, via an Internet search, she found a neurologist, who validated her symptoms, ran tests, and finally diagnosed her with the disease. Her experience is not uncommon, sadly.…

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/medi...y-i-had-a-rare-autoimmune-disorder/ar-AAUcJab

2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

My dog was actually screened for this pretty early when he started collapsing for no reason (it wasn't MG). Thankfully we didn't have to waste time on deciding if he was fine all along. Telling the vet a flat coated retriever didn't want to go for walks or run around, and could just fall down made her take it very seriously.

Lidia, alktipping, Arnie Pye and 13 others like this.
  3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from the article...
    That just made me laugh! I dont know which planet she lives on, but suggesting to a UK GP that you brainstorm, and turning up with copious notes, will only provoke the dismissal you are trying to avoid.

And its all very well saying you dont need to be a 'good patient' but some of us are entirely dependant on GP goodwill to write medical evidence so we have a cat-in-hell's chance of getting the benefit money we need to feed ourselves.

Michelle, Chezboo, Ukmum and 19 others like this.
  4. Mij

In Canada we have to be very fast talkers because we only have 8-10 minutes with our GP to get it all out.

5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes 5-10 mins in uk too @Mij

Well they used to be booked in 10 minute sessions, but by the time you get in there & get sat down... they want it to take 5 mins because they have too many patients for the working day.

Of course since the pandemic you can only get a face to face if the doctor deems you need it - so ALL consults are by phone initially, & then the GP decides if they will call you in. At least that's how it is at my surgery. I think it highly unlikely they would ever call you in for something like described here. They will mostly just fob off on the phone & then its just, its the dismissor's charter.

Its lovely for them in some ways i suppose, as they get to decide who they see.
    And I imagine its a relief to have a way to control access by people who they don't like. But that's not the job is it. And its hideous nightmare for many patients who dont have bog standard issues.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  6. Mij

I was called twice to come in during the pandemic, once in 2020 and then 2021 to come in for a PAP smear only, so I went in in 2021, it ended up being a 45 minute appointment. I was shocked. I assumed she had a lot of time on her hands that day? She even asked how my 'disability' was going(?) after 31 years (lol). errr. It was followed up with 2 telehealth appointments.

7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good your vet treated your dog in a timely manner. Sadly, some people don't get the same belief, understanding and prompt treatment as some pets do.

8. DokaGirl

@JemPD, exactly! Well said.

9. DokaGirl

Yep!

10. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Patients at our sugery are encouraged to just talk about one problem per appointment so offering to brainstorm would not be appreciated, and copious notes- don-t make me laugh.!!!

I think this is partly why complimentary therapists are so popular- they give you a lot of time and really listen.

11. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My current GP tried to do the same thing (only 1 problem/appointment), except that in real life, several problems can happen at the same time, right ? So, a patient denounced the situation to journalists and, faced with the discontent of the population, the College of Physicians of my Province got involved. My GP was fortunately forced to abandon this practice.

In short, it's always 10 min/appointment, and the key remains to be direct and factual,
    and too bad if it's brainfog day ! :(

Mij, Binkie4, Snow Leopard and 7 others like this.