Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and COVID-19: is there a connection? 2023, Al Muhaissen et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jul 29, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Objectives
    Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a chronic systemic disease that leads to neurological, immunological, autonomic, and energy metabolism dysfunction. COVID-19 has been reported to cause similar symptoms to ME/CFS. The study aims to investigate the prevalence of myalgic encephalomyelitis in patients post-COVID-19 infection by assessing acute and long-term COVID-19 symptoms.

Methods
    A cross-sectional questionnaire was developed based on the ME/CFS diagnostic criteria, as specified by the IOM clinical diagnostic criteria, and administered to participants with confirmed COVID-19 who are more than 18 years old and have BMI below 40 Kg/m2. Data from 437 participants were completed.

Results
    The current study results revealed that 8.1% of the study participants met the ME/CFS diagnostic criteria. Interestingly, 2.8 of the study participants were classified to have COVID-19 related to ME/CFS. While 4.6% of participants were determined to have disease-related fatigue, 0.7% of participants showed ME/CFS that was not related to COVID-19, and 3.7% of participants were considered to have long COVID-19. Almost one-fourth of the study participants had a family history of ME/CFS. The current study demonstrated that the prevalence of ME/CFS is similar to slightly higher than reported in the literature.

Conclusion
    The presence of a relationship between ME/CFS and COVID-19 has been supported by the results of our study. Follow-up of COVID-19 patients is strongly recommended to ensure proper management of ME/CFS symptoms.

Paywall, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03007995.2023.2242244

DokaGirl, RedFox, Wyva and 3 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Research from Jordan.

I can't quite work out what the Results section is saying. I don't know about the selection approach, but there's a possibility that there are some useful findings there in the text of the paper. And it's always interesting to hear views from another country about ME/CFS.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    DokaGirl, alktipping, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I was just typing a very similar comment to yours, @Hutan. I agree, the data in the abstract don't make much sense without being able to see the full paper.

4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's mostly OK, doesn't add much. On the plus side, used IOM criteria and referenced the 2021 NICE guidelines.

They didn't break down the early abuse, trauma and family problems. 13.7% seems a bit low for even just "family problems" which I have to imagine is more the rule rather than the exception in any part of the world.

The wording of the discussion could be tightened up. They say —

This bit is very odd —

The inclusion criteria were 18+, so I'm not sure what they mean by "found to have suffered from abuse or childhood trauma near the onset of symptoms".

Refs 7 and 8 are Early Adverse Experience and Risk for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (2006) and Childhood Trauma and Risk for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Association With Neuroendocrine Dysfunction (2009) - both JAMA Psychiatry.

This bit is fine —

It then starts to get a bit confusing —

I think they're talking about PEM as episodic severe symptoms here.

I think they're trying to square ME with LC, by looking at the non-IOM criteria symptoms?

DokaGirl, alktipping, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think there's a percentage symbol missing in:

"2.8 of the study participants".

DokaGirl, alktipping, Hutan and 4 others like this.