Naloxone inhibits superoxide release from human neutrophils

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Mister Person, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Mister Person

Mister Person Established Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps this is another mechanism for LDN? I don't understand. Younger mentioned nadph oxidase, astrocytes, opiod growth factor, and the rebound endorphin. But no mention of this neutrophil paper

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I assume you are referring to this paper from 1985:
    Naloxone inhibits superoxide release from human neutrophils
    Simpkins et al.
    Abstract
    Using the superoxide dismutase inhibitable reduction of cytochrome c assay, we studied, the effect of (-) naloxone on N-formyl-methionyl-leucyl-phenylalanine (FMLP) stimulated superoxide (O2-) release from human neutrophils. Neutrophils were pre-incubated with the range of concentrations of (-) naloxone that is administered in models of experimental sepsis (10(-6) - 10(-4.5) M). (-) Naloxone inhibited O2- release in a dose dependent manner. 02- produced by a cell-free xanthine-xanthine oxidase system was not inhibited by (-) naloxone, indicating that (-) naloxone was not scavanging O2-. There was no difference between the effect of (-) and (+) naloxone suggesting that the inhibition of O2- was not specific for an opiate receptor. Another opiate antagonist, nalorphine, as well as the opiate agonist, morphine, also inhibited O2- release in the same concentration range. There was no difference between the effect of naloxone and morphine.

Note that LDN is Low Dose Naltrexone, not naloxone.

From
    WebMD

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.