Netherlands to lead major study to test existing medications for long Covid treatment

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Mij, Dec 9, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Preparations have begun in the Netherlands for large-scale European research to test whether existing medicines can alleviate symptoms in long Covid patients. The researchers will first examine widely available and cheap medicines, such as a medicine for diabetes.

In addition to Dutch patients, British, Spanish and Italian patients will also be examined. The large size of the combined patient populations allows scientists to say more quickly with certainty whether or not a medicine works against complaints caused by long Covid.

At the moment, a cure for severe long Covid is not possible. An estimated 100,000 Dutch people have this serious chronic disease, which severely or even completely limits normal life. Patients are therefore already experimenting with medicines and treatments that are actually intended for other conditions.

https://nltimes.nl/2023/12/08/nethe...est-existing-medications-long-covid-treatment

Kitty, alktipping, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the foundation had scientists ready to respond to any funding rounds which has been a huge help in getting funding properly allocated. When ZonMW(Dutch government) allocated money for research in ME/CVS we didn't have that to the same degree, leading to Rosmalen taking a chunk of the money for her garbage consortium. I hope LC patients can avoid this trap.

Kitty, alktipping, RedFox and 6 others like this.