Neurological syndromes driven by postinfectious processes or unrecognized persistent infections, Avindra Nath et al, 2018

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Forbin, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I ran across this 2018 article by Drs. Nath and Johnson while googling "postinfectious process," because that's the term that I was diagnosed with back in the 1980's. [I was just curious if the term was still used.]

It's behind a wall, but there's an abstract here:

Neurological syndromes driven by postinfectious processes or unrecognized persistent infections, Avindra Nath et al, 2018
    https://journals.lww.com/co-neurolo...al_syndromes_driven_by_postinfectious.16.aspx

I'm posting this because the article certainly sounds like it might relate to ME/CFS and because one of the authors is Dr. Nath.

There's more to the abstract, but I didn't want to cut and paste it in its entirety.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Milo, Michelle, DokaGirl and 9 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DokaGirl, Perrier, Aroa and 4 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full abstract

Milo, Perrier, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I've just skimmed it, but I didn't see any reference to CFS or ME/CFS. This is despite it mentioning chronic fatigue lasting more than 6 months and things like post-Ebola symptoms. I think that's rather remarkable.

Michelle, DokaGirl, Mij and 7 others like this.
  6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ditto, remarkable.
    From whence does cerebral damage, such as restricted diffusion come for those post EBV pwME?

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow. I mean. The logic behind this is... wow. It only emerges when we look, because outside of epidemics and large outbreaks nobody looks (so how could anyone know?). Therefore it only happens when we look. And since we only look when it's very large then it only happens when it's very large. Obviously this means people should look beyond but no, the conclusion is the opposite, that it must only happen then. One step removed from: if we didn't look for it it wouldn't exist. If you don't test for Covid you have zero cases and the pandemic is over.

And it didn't happen following SARS. Because nobody looked. Confirming it didn't happen. Same with swine flu. Same with, I guess, Incline village and RFH and on and on. And again with Long Covid most research ignores neurological symptoms so do they even exist if no one checks?

Literally failing at object permanence. I personally prefer science that respects object permanence. I personally require science to respect object permanence, but maybe I'm just very weird.

8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think a big part of the problem is that (so far as I know) ME/CFS is not reportable (at least not in the US). Another factor is that, technically, according to the definition, you can't be diagnosed for six months. Even if it were reportable, I wonder how many doctors would remember to report after 6 months later.

Is "long covid" is even reportable? I guess there have been estimates of the percentage of patients who go on to develop "long covid," but I wonder how accurate those would be.

Michelle, ahimsa, Mij and 5 others like this.