Trial Report Neuroplasticity Intervention, Amygdala and Insula Retraining (AIR), Significantly Improves Overall Health ..., 2024, Bratty

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Dolphin, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://openurl.ebsco.com/EPDB:gcd:...co:plink:scholar&id=ebsco:gcd:175229633&crl=c

Title
    Neuroplasticity Intervention, Amygdala and Insula Retraining (AIR), Significantly Improves Overall Health and Functioning Across Various Chronic Conditions.

Authors
    Bratty, Alexandra J.

Abstract
    Chronic conditions, sometimes referred to as functional somatic disorders, such as myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), and more recently, long COVID (LC), affect millions of people worldwide.

Yet, after decades of research and testing, the etiology and treatment for many of these diseases is still unclear.

Recently, a consortium of clinicians and researchers have proposed that while many different chronic conditions exist, the root cause of each may be a similar brain-body connection, as the brain responds to perceived biological threats and transmits danger signals to the body that manifest as somatic symptoms.

This hypothesis suggests that treating chronic conditions requires an approach that addresses the neural networks involved.

One such method, known as Amygdala and Insula Retraining (AIR), otherwise known as The Gupta Program, has shown promise in recent years for treating such conditions, including ME/CFS, FM, and LC.

The present study aimed to demonstrate that AIR could be an effective approach for numerous other chronic illnesses (e.g., Lyme disease, mold illness, mast cell activation syndrome [MCAS]) and others.

This novel and exploratory research examined self-reported health and functioning levels before and after using AIR.

A series of paired-sample t tests with Bonferroni correction demonstrated that after 3+ months of using AIR (the minimum recommended time for the intervention), participants experienced a significant increase in overall health and functioning for 14 of 16 conditions tested (P < .001 for all but one, which was P = .001) and approached significance for the remaining two conditions (P = .039 and P = .005).

Of the 14 signficant findings, 11 had a large effect size and three had a medium effect size. Naturally, this study has limitations.

It was a cross-sectional design with a small convenience sample and self-reported data.

Future research with larger samples and randomized controlled trials is needed to provide further evidence of AIR's effectiveness.

Nonetheless, these preliminary findings suggest that AIR is a viable method for improving the health of people suffering from chronic conditions, and clinicians and researchers might consider incorporating AIR into their protocols for these patients.

Publication
    Integrative Medicine: A Clinician's Journal, 2024, Vol 22, Issue 6, p20

ISSN
    1546-993X

Publication type
    Academic Journal

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Since nobody has ever measured how to "correctly rewire" your brain or that these techniques actually cause any rewiring beyond the classical processes that continously happen inside our brains, I propose a new method that also acts directly on the neuroplasticity:

Run against a wall as hard as you can head first, but you have to do it twice. Only that ensures the perfect network connectivity.

3. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Gupta has been selling this quackery for years. It's very like LP.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Behold, my new invention: THE WHEEL. No one has ever thought of this idea before. No one has ever used it before I did. I will patent it and sue everyone who says otherwise.

How do these people not die of embarrassment at saying such obviously false and foolish things? Even worse, how does this complete nonsense get any respect in what is supposed to be a serious profession? Might as well spend billions of dollars on a "Is the Moon actually made of cheese?" project at NASA for all that this is a serious effort.

6. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The novel NASA project entails: We shall not objectively measure whether the moon actually is a cheese. We will tell people it isn't and then study whether it is a cheese by their subjective answers once we've told them they shouldn't believe it isn't made out of cheese. A truely revolutionary approach to get to the bottom of this mysterious mind-moon-cheese problem.

7. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

basically LP with a different name. these programs seem all to have basically the same moving parts just kind of shuffled around.

Peter Trewhitt, EzzieD, Sean and 4 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Does it cover her conflicts of interest? - presuming this is “research” as marketing

9. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well NIH tells us the problem is the right temporoparietal junction, so you're targeting the completely wrong part of the brain anyway.

shak8, Peter Trewhitt, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Chronic conditions, sometimes referred to as functional somatic disorders, such as myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), and more recently, long COVID (LC), affect millions of people worldwide.

Yet, after decades of research and testing, the etiology and treatment for many of these diseases is still unclear.

Yet you are still happy to class them as functional somatic disorders, with all the causal assumptions and baggage that brings?

Recently, a consortium of clinicians and researchers have proposed that while many different chronic conditions exist, the root cause of each may be a similar brain-body connection, as the brain responds to perceived biological threats and transmits danger signals to the body that manifest as somatic symptoms.

This hypothesis suggests that treating chronic conditions requires an approach that addresses the neural networks involved.

Still stuck in the hypothesis generating stage, after [checks notes] decades of 'research', and...

One such method, known as Amygdala and Insula Retraining (AIR), otherwise known as The Gupta Program, has shown promise in recent years for treating such conditions, including ME/CFS, FM, and LC.

...clinical application.

This novel and exploratory research examined self-reported health and functioning levels before and after using AIR.

That is a novel use of the word 'novel'.

Because they keep being rewarded for it.

Not just the individuals within the system who are broken, it is the whole system in this area of medicine. The incentives, and disincentives, are truly perverse.

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not a recommendation. I just got this by email
    ------
    New Study: Gupta Program is Effective Across 14 Different Conditions

Dear X,

I hope you are keeping well.

I know it’s been a while since we last touched base, so I wanted to share a newly published study demonstrating the effectiveness of The Gupta Program across numerous chronic conditions.

It was an international audit conducted by an independent research firm, demonstrating that after 3+ months of using The Gupta Program, participants experienced a significant increase in overall health and functioning for 14 different chronic conditions, including:

• ME/CFS (70% increase in overall health and functioning)
    • Fibromyalgia (62% increase)
    • Long COVID (84% increase)
    • Mold (67% increase)
    • MCS (85% increase)
    • MCAS (52% increase)
    • Lyme disease (116% increase)
    You can see the full list of conditions in the publication.

Though not a randomized controlled trial, this study is particularly compelling because it is the first to demonstrate The Gupta Program’s effectiveness beyond just ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, and long COVID.

Moreover, it provides further evidence in support of the program’s foundational hypothesis. Namely, that numerous chronic conditions are caused by maladaptive neuro-immune responses that trigger a self-perpetuating loop of danger signals. The signals are sent by the brain to the body, manifesting as physiological symptoms, which are then interpreted by the brain as further danger signals that continue the vicious cycle of chronic disease.

Of course, more randomized controlled trials are needed to bolster this preliminary evidence, and our goal this year is to continue with a primary focus on ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, and long COVID and expand to conducting trials for other conditions such as mold, Lyme, POTS, MCAS, and even multiple sclerosis.

We just wanted to share these exciting findings and check in to see if you’d like to set up a call soon to revisit the idea of collaborating on a future study?

Please let me know, and I’ll be happy to set up a time to chat.

Warm Regards,

Alex

Alex Bratty, PhD
    Clinical Research Consultant for The Gupta Program
    Advanced Neuroplasticity Brain Retraining for Chronic Conditions

P.S. If you want to review all our published studies including RCTs to date, you can find them here.

You can follow our official Gupta Program pages here:

Sean, Deanne NZ and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only thing I enjoy about grifts like this is that they're saying exactly the same nonsense as the most pompous eminent professors of psychosomatics out there, who either don't know, or don't care, that their pseudoscience is explained exactly the same way by people doing a similar private grift as they are. And it's not even similar, it's fully identical.

If only it made any difference, but that's the easiest way to tell that you're completely wrong. That and that Internet trolls also love your stuff.

EzzieD, bobbler, Michelle and 3 others like this.