Neuropsychiatric Treatment Approaches for Functional Neurological Disorder: A How to Guide, 2022, Finkelstein, Perez et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

There is a growing body of knowledge regarding management of functional neurological disorder (FND). The aim of this article is to guide the clinician through FND clinical management, from delivery of the diagnosis, to creation of a biopsychosocially-informed treatment plan, to troubleshooting common issues that arise throughout longitudinal care. We review the evidence and core principles of both rehabilitative therapies (physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech and language therapy) and psychological therapies for the treatment of FND, and discuss the benefits of engaging a multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary team. The optimal timing of specific therapeutic interventions is also discussed, emphasizing a patient-centered perspective. Resources for further reading, for both patients and clinicians, are provided throughout. Additional research is needed to further optimize the therapeutic approach to patients with FND, including the need to develop novel treatments for those that do not positively respond to currently available interventions.

Paywall, https://www.thieme-connect.de/products/ejournals/abstract/10.1055/s-0042-1742773

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Abstract says:

I would word it ‘there is a growing body of poorly evidenced opinion and belief’.

3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can anyone remember the name of the study of functional epilepsy that found attending a clinic for CBT did not reduce the number of seizures? I meant to copy it as it is proof against FND if I get faced with it.

5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CODES. I wrote several posts about it. The control group had a greater reduction of seizures than the intervention group. But they still claimed it was effective because of a few minor generic secondary outcomes

rvallee, cfsandmore, Mithriel and 6 others like this.
  6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you. I have bad movement problems so the risk of FND is high! That is one of the worst bits of research and makes a farce of the whole thing.

You can sound as scientific as you like but if does not help patients it is not medicine.

7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Propaganda at its finest. By which I mean at its worst.

They have completely bypassed the proving the entity exists step and gone straight to the how can they impose their delusions onto patients step.

This stuff depresses me more than anything. They have learned nothing more than how to lie better (and arguably not even that). It is going to be the exactly the same battle all over again, with another generation of patients' lives destroyed by it.

Nobody will be held to any meaningful account for it. Certainly not enough to stop the guilty and their glorious careers before the damage is done.

And they wonder why we are angry?