Neuropsychological Measures of Long COVID-19 Fog in Older Subjects, 2022, Lauria et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Coronavirus disease 2019 is known to impact older people more severely and to cause persistent symptoms during the recovery phase, including cognitive and neurologic ones. We investigated the cognitive and neurologic features of 100 elderly patients with confirmed diagnosis of coronavirus disease 2019 evaluated in the postacute phase through a direct neuropsychological evaluation consisting on Mini Mental State Examination and 8 neuropsychological tests. Overall, a total of 33 participants were found to perform at a level considered to be pathologic; more specifically, 33%, 23%, and 20% failed on Trial Making, Digit Span Backwards, and Frontal Evaluation Battery tests, respectively.

Open access, https://www.geriatric.theclinics.com/article/S0749-0690(22)00025-8/fulltext

Sean, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, alktipping, Lilas and 1 other person like this.
  3. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.wordsense.eu/brain_fog/

"brain fog (uncountable)
    1. (informal) A mental condition in which the subject experiences problems in concentrating, thinking clearly, or remembering things.
      • 1886, Mary Jane Holmes, Bessie's Fortune, G. W. Carleton & Co., page 261:
        Then, as the brain fog lifted a little and cleared away, his chin quivered and he went on : “ Oh, Daisy, Daisy; it comes back to me now, the years that are gone, and you as you were then.” "

Peter Trewhitt, Trish and Wyva like this.
  4. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And I've also heard of fibro fog and chemo fog, so I guess some diseases had their own version even before covid.

Peter Trewhitt, CRG and Trish like this.