New Nasal Vaccines for COVID, Flu and RSV in development

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hotblack, Oct 16, 2024 at 6:55 PM.

1. hotblack

hotblack Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, oldtimer, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting, @hotblack. The article is over my head but some strong (and interesting) claims are being made:

When nasal vaccines have been discussed before, I've seen optimistic claims dismissed but I don't know enough about the science to make a judgement. I'd love to believe the claims - I'm still shielding, and will be for the rest of my life if no better protection against Covid becomes possible.

I'm assuming that the Long Covid that Iwasaki mentions is the non-ME/CFS, organ-damage type. They seem to be two different things.

But I wonder if nasal vaccines could lead to R dropping below 1 and Covid being eradicated?

hotblack, Sean and oldtimer like this.
  3. hotblack

hotblack Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It certainly would be great to see.

I know a nasal version of the AstraZeneca vaccine was a flop despite early hopes so am interested in how these efforts develop
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/ebiom/article/PIIS2352-3964(22)00480-7/fulltext

I’m also unsure on the Long Covid claims. As we all know there’s so much uncertainty and misunderstanding over that even within medical/research communities.

So I don’t know, maybe eradication is optimistic, we rarely manage that deliberately AFAIK. But perhaps significant reduction of transmission combined with evolution of the virus into something some of us can be less fearful of doesn’t seem unrealistic? We can certainly hope!

Trish and Sasha like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember reading early on that that wouldn't be expected to happen but I can't remember why!

Trish and hotblack like this.