New small molecules for the treatment of autoinflammatory diseases

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Indigophoton, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-07-small-molecules-treatment-autoinflammatory-diseases.amp
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0287-8

Webdog, Andy, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Thanks for posting @Indigophoton. I'm especially interested because I've been diagnosed with an autoinflammatory disease. But I suspect that I'm not the only one here who has one of these diseases.

Webdog, Hutan, Indigophoton and 2 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks of considerable interest. Blocking innate activation pathways has been hard, partly because a lot of it depends on kinases (enzymes that add phosphate tags to signalling molecules to make them active). Blocking kinases has proved very hard to get 'clean' since the 1980s. A new strategy for blocking activation of a transmembrane receptor by 'covering up' an activation site sounds clever.

I would agree with Woolie that although this is specifically relevant to auto inflammatory disease it would not be at all surprising if this pathway was involved in a non-inflammatory syndrome like ME/CFS. Interferons are involved in producing symptoms without actually creating local inflammation.

Indigophoton, Amw66, Trish and 3 others like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How can we get people to look at this in relation to ME/CFS?

Amw66 likes this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

didnt Ron Davis hint last year that he thought there was a small molecule involved? (Sorry for the Noddy level of my comment:bag:)